Robin Hood Apprentice Project

Guest Botbuilder

Guest Jonny Norn Iron
Even a beaten up copy would be better than what I have (Nowt). Any chance of a copy??

Regards

Alan :blink:

I will check the dark recesses of the garage and see what I can find - I'll PM you if I come up with it. You MUST do better than me though ....... 10 years and counting! :o

John

Guest mower man

Mine looks like yours and in 7 years of ownership no one has positivly identified it! If any one has adrawing with sizes of the nerf panels please get in touch!! :crazy: :clapping: :good: :p :search: mower man

The S3 had enclosed front bulkhead so i would say its a 2.

Most of it is similar to my 3a and i have the original build videos on VHS and may even have a DVD version that i converted.

If you give me a postal address i will send you them and a whole pile of info i have collected over the years plus the mods i did for SVA as things like the rear seat belt mounts are to low, the steering column hoop is not firm enough and the pedal box needs bracing.

Its series 1 or Sierra S7.

These would normally use an early Sierra subframe (pre85? I think) reversed, what I can make out in the picture someone has fitted a later subframe and made some adapters to mount the angle iron cross bars for the wishbones. The difference in subframes was the engine mounts on the early subframes where attached with two bolts and they sit in a recess the two fittings would have been at the level of the angle iron and attach the two pieces of angle. Later engine mounts have single fitting top and bottom and sit lower on the subframe.

Jez

post-50-1267660046_thumb.jpg

Guest Botbuilder

:hi: From a sales brochure kindly supplied by NIDuncan I have determined what I have got is indeed a RH Traditional

The sales blurb is as follows:

THE TRADITIONAL

This is our budget kit, those of you who are familiar with Robin Hood Engineering's products, will recognise the "Traditional" as being a mixture of the "PAB" part Assembled Body kit and Exmo. Both terrific sellers on their own and now the Tradional is a combination of the best of the two.

The Traditional uses the Ford based Sierras rear suspension set up and no has nerf panels. The use of inboard shock absorbers and rocker arms suspension incorporating the donors subframe will continue. The rear of the body has been reinforced to accept the rear harnesses in order to comply with the difficult height measurement required by the SVA test. Again all the SVA essentials are included in this as is our new performance manifold and latest silencer.

If anyone has pictures of the Exmo or Tradional front/rear suspension and/or boot area I would dearly love to see them :good:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest youngsterS3

I definitely have a copy of the series 3 build videos on DVD if you like, PM me if you would me to send you a copy, if no one else already has. etc.

and good luck!

Chris

Guest youngsterS3

a copy of the three dvds will be popped in the post today. The last one has some amendments at the end. If you can bear to watch them all, I would!

as I said they are for a series 3 to the best of my knowledge. I had to interpret them for my new series 3 build as the design had changed. not drastically, but enough!

I sort of cheated and bought mine part built when it was at a rolling chassis stage. the engine block was in, the gearbox, diff and rear suspension section were all bolted down. These I would say are the first things to do, the big bulky components. I can't comment on how to get them in the right places, I gambled on the previous builder having got it right and I just sort of double checked that it didn't look crazy..

I would get a copy of the IVA manual. important things like p cliping pipes and wires every 6inches or so, not running fuel lines and wires down the same side of the car are all early planning points as once you start to build up on top of these areas, it becomes a nightmare if you have to go back to moving them, ie having to remove everything else in the way.....

I would get some decent drill bits, stainless is hard work!

I think I saw you have removed the white plastic protector from the stainless. if you have any left, a hairdryer helps and at separate times nail polish remover - acetone i think. (if the plastic is stuck on the same way mine was!)

i would get some blankets or the like and protect the stainless, it does scratch quite easily and I don't think you will get them out..

post any questions and I'm sure we will all try and help.

Guest Botbuilder
a copy of the three dvds will be popped in the post today. The last one has some amendments at the end. If you can bear to watch them all, I would!

as I said they are for a series 3 to the best of my knowledge. I had to interpret them for my new series 3 build as the design had changed. not drastically, but enough!

I sort of cheated and bought mine part built when it was at a rolling chassis stage. the engine block was in, the gearbox, diff and rear suspension section were all bolted down. These I would say are the first things to do, the big bulky components. I can't comment on how to get them in the right places, I gambled on the previous builder having got it right and I just sort of double checked that it didn't look crazy..

I would get a copy of the IVA manual. important things like p cliping pipes and wires every 6inches or so, not running fuel lines and wires down the same side of the car are all early planning points as once you start to build up on top of these areas, it becomes a nightmare if you have to go back to moving them, ie having to remove everything else in the way.....

I would get some decent drill bits, stainless is hard work!

I think I saw you have removed the white plastic protector from the stainless. if you have any left, a hairdryer helps and at separate times nail polish remover - acetone i think. (if the plastic is stuck on the same way mine was!)

i would get some blankets or the like and protect the stainless, it does scratch quite easily and I don't think you will get them out..

post any questions and I'm sure we will all try and help.

Thanks very much Youngster! :good:

SnapperPaul has sent me a DVD with a few gigabytes of build pictures and info. Everyones help is much appreciated.

I don't think we will be putting this car through the IVA test, it will probably end up being used for hill climbing. It's a relatively safe sport for the kids to have a go at. If everything goes well with the project we may buy a new kit for next years intake.

Thanks to everyone for your help to date. I'll have to take out a second mortgage to buy you all a few pints when we eventually meet up!

:drinks:

When you get going, get in touch with Brooksby (Melton Mowbray town centre) college. They have been building and pulling apart a hood for ages.

Challenge them to a hill climb so that they have some healthy competition to get the thing going. Seems such a shame to see it up on axle stands.