Pinto Sumps

speedtripledan

The problem with not shortening the sump and then adding a sump guard is that when you hit something the front of the car comes up and you loose both steering and brakes.

You can still get modified steel sumps for around £100 and RS2000 ally sumps can still be found at swap meets for £100 but make sure it comes with pickup pipe as they are longer in length than standard but shorter in depth so you cant easily modify a standard pick up unless you have 2 standard pickups.

Burtons sell the RS2000 pickup for £66 + VAT

Guest fathead

I am going to get my sump shortened. I am looking to send it off to Knock-on in the next few months. Question is, do i wait to fit the engine until I have the sump done or do I fit the sump once the engine is in the car? :fool:

hi,

its not the easiest job to put the sump on and off in the car if its a 2b with a pinto as the plough bar gets in the way. The engine needs to be lifted for it to clear. Its also annoying to have to work under a car and try and get to some of the sump bolts. If you have the luxury of having the engine out i'd be tempted to wait.

I had to do mine in the car after i banged it and it started to leak, so i took it off and shortened it.

hth

I am going to get my sump shortened. I am looking to send it off to Knock-on in the next few months. Question is, do i wait to fit the engine until I have the sump done or do I fit the sump once the engine is in the car? :fool:

Get the sump on before the engine goes in whatever you do. It's a pig of a job otherwise.

Ahhh, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :D

Many thanks for the recommendation.

Just to let everyone know, I have put a standard sump and pickup for sale for £50 (which looks bloody cheap compared to the first post!!!)

If you want it shortened, I can get it for Detling at £140 but need to know quick.

• 3 weeks later...

Save your self a small fortune by doing the measuring and cutting your self. Cut the bottom off my sump and bolted it to the block with gasket. Took strainer off pick up pipe with gas bottles at local garage, then bolted it back to the oil pump. With a straight edge across the sump I cut the pipe down and had it silver soldered. Checked it again for pick up clearance. Cut out a box for extra oil capacity (from scrap) and bent it up. Took it to my local welder, welded the box on the side then plasmer cut a piece of 3mm plate and welded to the bottom. Might take some time but you are hard up hoodies? Total cost £15 for welding.

Totally agree Spanner man and there is a detailed walk through on the NW site (I think) if people want to do that and are happy with a Mig welded product.

All we offer is a service that will take a standard sump, cut it to 3.5inch depth, modify the pick-up by cutting the pipe twice to maintain profile against new sump floor (if you only cut it once the chances are it wont be a flat 3mm off base), create the splash baffle, create the expansion tank, modify it to fit the contoured side of the Pinto sump, drill in a new plug hole and Tig weld all together before cleaning up and integrity testing.

It takes me about 4 hours to do it and some people think £90 is a fair price if they get a quality, tested product back.

At the end of the day, I'm a Hoodie builder and rely on people on here for help and assistance, so if anyone wanted any advice on how to do it, I would always help but if people haven't got the facilities or time etc, we help them out.

Not trying to rip anyone off by charging a small fortune and people that have had them seem very pleased :(

As a useful scrap of advice to anyone doing a shortened pickup it's worth welding one or two vertical bits from the lower face of the pickup like little legs. Then grind these down to 3mm. That way if your maths is a bit wrong the intake in the pickup can never be too close to the base of the sump, reducing or stopping flow. It's little leggys will make it stand off 3mm.

Incidentally having done my own sump and pickup on the pinto in the early days I wouldn't bother now. I would buy one shortened.

Nigel