Strange Barke Part.

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

I will have to post some pics, but just out of curiosity can anyone identify something for me please.

I found this thing hanging between my legs............ NO NOT THAT :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On my master cylinder, before stripping the car down, there were a couple of brake pipes coming out of the actual cylinder but then going into a round tube like doo-dah and then going out to the rear brakes. It didn't look like anything trick, so I'm assuming it is a Ford part. There was no adjustment dial on there to make me think it was some form of bias valve, but could be wrong. I will post some pics as I need to know wether or not I need to put it back on seeing as I cannot use the servo anymore.

Thanks

Guest Ian & Carole

Seems Alan has gone.Shame :friends:

I think you have found the Sierra brake bias valve.

Some say keep it......................... some say bin it.

Mine was fitted for SVA and still sits there...........

Has never caused me a problem.

Guest The Modfather

Thanks Ian. Nick, you are excused mate :crazy:

I just need to remember how it went because Ijust cut through the pipes in a hurry to be rid of the system, thinking I knew how it all went back together!

I love puzzles :yahoo:

Thanks Ian. Nick, you are excused mate :crazy:

I just need to remember how it went because Ijust cut through the pipes in a hurry to be rid of the system, thinking I knew how it all went back together!

I love puzzles :yahoo:

Easy mate, just refer to the picture you took of it prior to dis-assembling it all. :friends:

:rolleyes:Sierra bias valve -- 38-40mm round & 50mm long,heavy bit of kit,1 pipe in from master cylinder & 1 out to rear brakes?? I kept mine in (supposed to stop rear locking under heavy braking) biggest problem is knowing what angle to set at for our cars; but make sure the front is facing forwards,'cause it's a rolling ball that makes it work. (similar to what you said at top of post but this is singular & much heavier) (( Last comment is not based on personal experience)) :rolleyes:

Guest The Modfather

Easy mate, just refer to the picture you took of it prior to dis-assembling it all. :friends:

Damn, must have left my camera indoors at that point!

Thanks Bob, I will do some investigation re the way round etc.

Guest The Modfather

Can put a photo of mine up tomorrow (Brake bias that is) if any help. :rolleyes:

Blimey Bob, I spend a couple of hours at yours and now you're sending me pictures of your valve! Ooooooohhh Matron :air_kiss: :unsure: :unsure:

Yes Bob, thank you that would be much appreciated.

Regards

Have read all the forum arguments, sorry, discussions about this valve I decided to leave mine in as it was already fitted but I'm not convinced you need it! Anyway, piccie of mine fitted, front of car to right of piccie, although I think you can see that, sorry.

post-2715-039855500 1283757196_thumb.jpg

Guest The Modfather

Hi Malcolm.

Thanks for the pic. Mine isn't as shiny as that. Not knowing what it was meant that I didn't know that there were arguments about it's requirement to stay. From what has been posted so far, Am I right in thinking that the harder you brake the further along the tube this ball bearing moves and so reduces the amount of fluid to the rear to save them from locking up?

Darren

That's correct. The angle of the device sets the level at which point the rear brakes work and by how much. The problem lies with what is the correct angle for each vehicle as the braking effort and weight distribution in a hoody are very different than they are in a sierra. Some of the forum folks have said they don't use one and never have ahd an rear wheel lock up issues others say they have then fitted and still don't have any issues!??? Some have lock up issues with and without the bias valve??????? The only place to find that out is on the road or on a four wheel rolling road.

Just to clarify that the valev is there to reduce the braking effort to the rear wheels to prevent premature rear wheel lockup.

My valve is only nice and shiny 'cos I spent ages cleaning and painting it!

The only place to find that out is on the road or on a four wheel rolling road

The Ford bias valve only works when the car is in motion. It relies on momentum rolling the internal ball uphill & closing off the main orifice.....

It does'nt work on a rolling road, unlike the Metro/mini type which works all the time.

I debated fitting it (drum rears) but decided not to in the end. Passed SVA & every MOT since with no problems.

HTH Bob

Guest peter2b2002

On my 2b I fitted it (in 2004 rear drum brakes)but I made one screw hole into a slot so that I could adjust the angle, which I had to do at my sva test, been working fine for over 12k miles and a few panic braking without locking the rear wheels

peter2b