Rear Suspension

Guest Newyorkers

Guest Newyorkers

Hi new to this site, so be patient with me. Can anyone tell me what is the measurement from the bottom of the seatbelt/harness cross member to the top of the mount for the rear springs? I've bought an unfinished project and want to make sure its correct.

Cheers

Guest chris brown

If you mean how long are the ends of the roll bar supposed to be below the seatbelt/harness cross member then there are at least two answers. In video 1 or A (depending on batch) it tells you to cut the bar ends off as close to the cross member as possible whereas in video 4 or D you are told to leave them full length. So some are cut (mine included ) and some are left full length. Both work it is just that the top mount for the spring or coilover doesn't go so far into the tube when it has been cut. The total length is determined by the length of springs/coilovers and required ground clearance so drill several holes in mounting brackets so as to be able to adjust later.

Hope my ramblings help

Guest Newyorkers

Thanks Chris,I've bought an unfinished project, the previous builder has welded Locost type brackets to the bottom of the roll bar!!!and fixed the coilover to them not up inside the tubing as I thought it was meant to be. The bottom of the coilover goes through the sierra swing arm, and is bolted underneath. Has anyone else come across this?

Yes. I worked on one that had U brackets for the top shock mount. They were welded on a tube slightly smaller in diameter than the roll hoop. Roll hoop and tube were drilled at intervals allowing rear ride height to be set whilst still keeping the shock adjusted to 1/3 compressed and thus in ideal 'at rest' position. I didn't like it. Introduced some play so once all set I welded it in place.

Nigel

post-21-056695300 1286919930_thumb.jpg

The bolt though roll hoop & sliding mount is missing the anti-crush tube on the bolt; fabricated & fitted one on our 2B (with a new piece of sliding tube that actually fitted the roll bar) & with 12mm bolt wound-up its solid.

If it's any help this is how my part built 2B was.

I have since modified it to solid mounting bar that will slide inside the tube for adjustment in 3 places at 2" increments machined to fit the ends of the coil overs and have just ordered some new AVO units, not got any pictures of the new setup yet.

Regards

maca

post-1433-065423500 1286921633_thumb.jpg

The previous owner didn't realize the coil-over mount bolts should be parallel to the axis on the trailing arm & it looks like the sliding tube is the same as mine was -- prick in a bucket fit.

I have to agree with your statement the new setup mounting bars are now a good fit without any play in the tube. I had to use a flap wheel to clean up the tube seam for them to slide in. And as it is solid bar then no crushed tube.

Guest Newyorkers

Hmmm, mine is not adjustable the bracket is welded on to the bottom of the roll bar, don't know if there is a crush tube inside.The only adjustment I've got is on the shock itself.