Lawnmower Engines - Non Hood Topic!

Andy Spencer

Thought its worth a try here as its amazing what this forum turns up!

Suffered what I believe to be catastrophic failure on my petrol lawnmower engine yesterday, started running rough then revved its socks off and cut out, now virtually no compression. Head gasket looks OK so suspect bust piston or cracked block or valve trouble. Its a Tecumseh engine, vertical shaft, side valve about 10 years old. I suspect not worth repairing and bits are like gold dust since Tecumseh went out of business in 2008.

What I'm thinking is to source a secondhand unit. The rest of the mower is too good to chuck away. The engine does have a horizontal PTO shaft to drive the rear roller but don't necessarily need that as I never use the self propel. Do mower engines have standard footprint fixings, ie could I get a Briggs & stratton for example and bolt it on?

Google etc not given much info and don't really want to buy a new tinny thing without a rear roller that will only last a year or two.

If anyone knows anything, I'd really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Andy

Guest Stuartl

I didnt know Tecumseh had gone bust. I did some work on their offices in Staines in the mid 90's. Hope that wasn't the beginning of their downfall! ;o)

Sounds like best bet is one on ebay for spares/repairs if the damage is terminal

I

Sounds like best bet is one on ebay for spares/repairs if the damage is terminal

Thanks thats what I'm hoping but there's none of my model type for sale anywhere, hence hoping I can source another brand or make that will fit. Given the different engines used on similar mowers, I'm hoping to be able to just bolt another make in. Fingers crossed!

Guest Stuartl

Thanks thats what I'm hoping but there's none of my model type for sale anywhere, hence hoping I can source another brand or make that will fit. Given the different engines used on similar mowers, I'm hoping to be able to just bolt another make in. Fingers crossed!

Well if my Focus fails the MOT this week you could have possibly the worlds first black top Zetec powered lawn mower for the right money!!

Well if my Focus fails the MOT this week you could have possibly the worlds first black top Zetec powered lawn mower for the right money!!

Hah yes and I'll keep it next to the

Actually though have stripped it tonight and may be recoverable. Its ingested a small brass screw which was holding the inlet valve open, hence no compression. Therefore I think the butterfly has failed in the carb, sending it revving like mad, and screw finding its way through. Got head, carb, fuel tank and engine covers all off now and will strip carb tomorrow. Carbs are available off ebay which is good news. Bloody pull cord snapped as well so had to strip all the covers off to get at it, luckily they are available on ebay as well. Head has been off before so a new head gasket and I think we'll be back in business. Rest of engine seems to turn over and function OK now that screw has been removed.

Have missed engine tinkering since the zetec, so quite enjoyed this evening. Will let you know how I get on, and if anyone else reads this and knows whewre to get even cheaper parts all the better!!

Cheers

What size & mount type i.e. clamps on like jubilee clip or has flange & bolt fiting; does the carb need to be? I have a carb for a small Honda engine in the workshop some where. Give us some more details if you think this may be a go-er.

Or a couple of pics.

Guest peter2b2002

you can get small honda engine quite cheap that should fit, picked up one for a water pump when it's engine went t*ts up, one other thought check for air leaks on the inlet side, my chain saw did nearly the same thing reved it's nuts off had to hit the kill switch quick before it went bang,

peter2b

Guest mower man

Hi here goes usualy if if asmall eng like Tecumseh ,B+S or Honda manage to rev and then stop the governor is not working ,they reach mega revs and something breaks or falls off i.e. your carb screw it may well rebuild ,I have even re used head gaskets 2 or3 times but be v carefull whan you restart it it may well try to get into orbit again .Some Tecumseh governors are actuated by the coolng fan blowing onto a spring loaded flap and can be a real pain and very fiddly to set up ,as speed increases the flap shuts the the throttle against a spring when speed falls the spring opens the the throttle again ,adjustment is effected by a comb of bending and spring choice.Other systems are in the crank case annd work on the spinning bob weight system rather like a traction/steam engine snd are not ussualy too truoblesome unless they have become diconnected HTH mower man.Get in touch if you need any more info :crazy: :pardon: :yahoo:

Thanks all for your really useful help and offers.

Got it totally stripped now, and sure enough the butterfly has come off, and the screw ingested. The carb is a write off but got a new one off ebay for £15. I don't think the governor is at fault, its the spinning bob type, the engine had been a bit temperamental for a while and had begun to run rough, I think it had been coming loose for a while. I do rev it a bit higher than I should.

So hopefully new carb on at weekend, rebuild rest of engine and should be OK....here's hoping!

Cheers again