Rusty Parts

Guest big kev

Guest big kev

Hi guys

Now I'm finally getting round to prepping my doner parts

Just wanted to know what ways/technics u guys us to remove rust from serria parts

Cheers

Big keV

Guest big kev

Hi guys

Now I'm finally getting round to prepping my doner parts

Just wanted to know what ways/technics u guys us to remove rust from serria parts

Cheers

Big keV

Guest The Modfather

If you have access to, or someone locally has a bead type blaster that is probably the best way to clean anything, and then powder coat it for things like suspension parts etc. If you use a grit blaster then make sure bearing faces are either covered or missed altogether. Either way keep these faces clean or your bearings/bushes will die immediately!

Otherwise it is the wire wheel in the drill time, failing that it's the wire brush.

Not sure if there are any brush/spray on products to get rid of rust, but there are preservatives you can apply after the cleaning.

I just wire brushed what I could and then used smooth Hammerite. Nice and glossy, and lays nice and flat, almost like powder coating if you give several good coats.

Good luck :friends:

Look up the washing soda & battery charger method (should be on here somewhere) works great,gets in all the nooks & crannys ;doesn't remove any good metal; cook parts immediately they come out the bath with a hot air gun & paint whilst warm. It's a slow process but can be left overnight;it doesn't wear your arm out & the 'shop is not filled with brown dust. :rolleyes:

Depending on the rust thickness and the thickness of the parts to be cleaned I have used electrolysis (brilliant but time consuming), needle gun (brilliant again but needs to be used only on thick parts), shot blasting (brilliant again but you need a powerful compressor and large tank and renew the media often) and of course sanding, wire brushing both hard graft (not so brilliant). Just be patient and don't stop too soon. Get those parts spotless to ensure a long corrosion free life and get them painted/protected as quickly as possible.