Help!

Thrashed

I can't agree 100% with what richy66 says. It doesn't matter if 1 is at 7 o'clock as long as the cut on the rim of the dizy is at 7 o'clock as well. Lining up tdc on 1, and the centre of the rotor arm with the cut on the rim are what gives the initial timing. Not just lining up the rotor arm with a pluglead and making sure it is number 1 lead. It also puts the wires to the dizzy in the most convenient position.

I would take 3 minutes to remove the dizzy clamp, gently lift the dizzy till its gear comes free of the jackshaft, turn the rotor 90 anticlockwise from its position when you have just freed it (which will be about 5 oclock not 7 oclock as it rotates as you lift the dizzy and then reinsert the dizzy. All this time the engine is still at tdc remember and the rotor should come to rest at about 4 oclock. The dizzy body can then be turned so the cut in the rim lines up with the centre of the rotor and the clamp nipped up. This will give number 1 lead in the 4 oclock position too, 3 at 7 oclock, 4 at 10 oclock and 2 at 1 oclock. All the clock times are with 12 at the right front wheel, 9 is the nosecone, 6 is you standing to the rear of the left front wheel and 3 is the gearstick!

Good luck.

Nigel

Ok. So i tried all the above an still no joy. I recorded my attempts and as you can see when i first try this is with the leads and dizzy what i think is the correct position as given by Nigel. Nothing. I then swap the 1 & 4 leads and the 2 & 3 leads and as you can hear a nice backfire.

So, my thinking is still that the timing is out somehow as my understanding of a backfire is the engine trying to run backwards because the ignition point is wrong??

After the video stopped i moved the leads round 1 place until i ended back at the beginning and the closest it got as a reasonable size backfire.

I am now at the limit of my understanding and skills. Got the club meet at the Malt Shovel tomorrow, but if anyone has and further ideas i am all ears, or if anyone likes tea, bacon/ sausage sandwiches and if free Saturday afternoon or anytime Sunday and wants to help out a fellow hoodie any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Video of my attempt: http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab89/smineham/Steve_Zero/?action=view&current=FILE0011.mp4

Timing is still way out - Thats why it struggles to turn over - It is trying to fire whilst piston is still travelling upwards. Loosen Dizzy so can turn it by hand and try anti clockwise first - Whilst turning it over - should get to a point where is will turn over quicker then turn slightly back. That will be best position to attempt rough 1st fire . - Take heart that I think you wont have any probs with Oil pressure in the 1st few seconds of firing - It should be nicely primed by the time it fires up. Good luck.

To aid 1st start whilst cold - get a sheet of something - Steel preferbaly and cover all the carb trumpets so you enrichen the mixture and put less air into the combustion chambers.

Guest sadjagboy

I had a similar problem, thought I had adjusted everything correctly, rocker off etc etc. Borrowed a timing light and put that on when turning over the engine. From the result I realised how far out the timing was, moved the distributor round, cranked the engine again and the engine started and ran. Pity about the knackered piston rings in no 2, but replacement engine will sort that, hopefully!

hope you have some success soon.

Regards

Angus

Guest Christine

I cant understand the mystery here, go back to basic's, Static time the engine, ensure the crank and camshaft timing marks are in the correct position (maybe the timing belt will have to come off to adjust this) is No.1 cylinder in the firing stroke, is the dizzy in the correct position to fire No.1. If all these points are correct you should have no problem with the engine timing. if it still does'nt fire you have to be looking at some other problem maybe fueling.

Edited by Garry