Bike Engined Zeros

Guest Hammy360

Guest oddsocks

is anyone building or running a Zero as a BEC? My kits on its way and my plan is zetec but I do have a Fireblade engine with carbs and ecu

Im building zero zetec but if i was you and had an bike engine with everythin then i would put that in-would love to see a zero with a bike engine go!! :shok:

But it think you would have to tell GBS coz i think you would have to alter the chassis for bike engine(dont quote me tho)Think they would have to make a cage for the engine to sit in.

Go on do it!!!!

Ps welcome to the club and when you picking your kit up????

Jamie

Welcome to the site. Haven't heard of many Hoods if not any with a bike engine. But know off other kits that do use them often with great success. They are great fun.

Andy

Guest Ace Fettler

Welcome to the club Hammy.

Bike engine is the way to go. Nothing quite like the sound of a 'Blade motor at full chat!! The driving experience is a lot more involved tho' so if you want a relaxing Sunday afternoon cruiser put the zetec lump in

Richard

I think I read somewhere that GBS are looking in to a bike engined version of the Zero, along with various other engine options like the Duratec etc. It might have heard it when I was last at the factory, I can't remember.

Welcome to the site. Haven't heard of many Hoods if not any with a bike engine. But know off other kits that do use them often with great success. They are great fun.

Andy

There is a guy with a bike powered 2B on here somewhere. Sure he will turn up or someone else will know in a bit.

Andi

Not my cup of tea,,,

If its an out and out track car then I'd do it, but if its a car I'm using on the road then I'd give it a miss,

BEC's are very twitchy and always need to be driven at high revs, otherwise they will bogg, not the most comfortable on a long run, and if you thought "pinto ear" was bad enough, wait for 1200 rpm down the motorway.

Also think about clutch and gearbox prices as the clutch from the bike will not cope in a car pulling 6 times the wieght and drag,

I'd sell the engine as they are worth money and buy a Zetec, get the right gear ratio and will be fun, (no full throttle gear shifts though)

I'd like to see one done but wouldnt risk it myself,

Dave

Guest oddsocks

What about reverse gear if you want to get through IVA? I know that boxes with reverse are available to fit bike engines but aren't cheap.

I've heard that you can set up a starter motor on a button for reverse but i dont know if it will go thro IVA. I was looking in to it at first but the cost of putting a reverse gear on put me off a bit and i didnt win the bid! :aggressive:

But im happy with the zetec route now-maybe in the future????? Just love the though of having something that quick and the faces on M3/porches drives as you leave them standing :search:

Jamie

I've heard that you can set up a starter motor on a button for reverse but i dont know if it will go thro IVA. I was looking in to it at first but the cost of putting a reverse gear on put me off a bit and i didnt win the bid! :aggressive:

But im happy with the zetec route now-maybe in the future????? Just love the though of having something that quick and the faces on M3/porches drives as you leave them standing :search:

Jamie

You'll still leave M3's and Porsches behind with your Zetec in Jamie.

For road use a BEC = Bad Engine Choice.