Any Pro Bodyshop Workers?

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

I'm after some rough prices for bodywork on my 3a to smarten it up and a coat of paint.

I will be fitting brand new cycle wings, I will need some scuff work taken care off on the rear wings and minor cracks which appear to be only in the gel coat sorted, and the nose cone painted possibly orange or kwaki green, ummmmmm.

Any idea how much this lot would cost to be done professionally?

Daz

Depends what paint finish you want and how much you can prep yourself - £500 for a 'cheap' job upto....well, as high as you want to go really. I wouldn't expect much change from a grand for a professional job including all prep work.

Guest nurburg2006

What about Chris Newlands ?

Stephen

Hi I would think it would be at lest £350 ish I do body work the main cost is the paint. Try calling a couple of body shops and get a quote. If you could take the panels off and take them to a body shop in tunbridge wells Kent (motor care) isthe company name and they are the nuts. I hope this helps. Pm me if you need any more help cheers Chris

Guest The Modfather

I can do the prep work myself, but would need to find out how to sort out the cracks in the gel coat. The scuffs are no problem, just grind some out and filler, and the rest will be flatted back and primered from a tin. That will just leave the top coat.

I was hoping for a couple of hundred quid, not in excess of £500! It is only 5 small panels. I will have to phone around and get some prices me thinks.

Thanks

Daz

Guest scrabster

hi daz,if you are prepared to do all the prep work yourself,rather than shell out up to £500,why not buy a spray gun & compressor and have a go yourself.if you were near to me you could borrow mine.try a HVLP gun and you dont need a massive compressor seeing as they are small panels.(HVLP) high volume low pressure.this is what the body chap recommended to me if i were going to get a set up.hth.

regards,jess.

Guest The Modfather

Hi there Jess.

I have a large compressor which is capable enough of spraying but I don't have the knowledge or the experience of doing a tidy job. If it came down to it I'd use what ever colour that had spare! I'll check out some prices from bodyshops and go from there.

Daz

What about Chris Newlands ?

Stephen

Who me !!!!!!!!!!!!! :blush:

That would be the cheaper way to do the job and prep the panels yourself as for the cracks you would need to drill end of cracks with a 1/8th drill bit, sand out the cracks and fill with a fiber glass paste.

The scuffs are no problem, just grind some out and filler, and the rest will be flatted back and primered from a tin.

If only it was that easy to do I could make a shed load

You would need to use a high build primer to get the best finish also some aerosol primers do not like having modern paints like UHS going over the top of them.

Daz, its the paint & materails are the thing that costs the most a 1 litre tinter can be anywhere between £50 - £100 some more than that.

So a price between £350 to £500 of a top job is what you can be looking at to pay.

I think my S7 would have come in about the £700 mark when it was painted so a good job it was a paint demo.

post-936-0-05681800-1298927499_thumb.jpg

post-936-0-90591400-1298927515_thumb.jpg

post-936-0-94722600-1298927539_thumb.jpg

post-936-0-16644400-1298927554_thumb.jpg

post-936-0-79431300-1298927570_thumb.jpg

Guest The Modfather

Umm, perhaps new panels would be cheaper, or it will be a DIY job, can't afford those sort of prices.

I just had a look on Ebay for paint guns, but they all seem the same. What would I be looking for exactly?

Daz

Daz

Sprayed mine with the Aldi compresser kit less than sixty quid, So not the best quality. Had no experiance ended up putting on several thick coats and then cutting back to get the finish.

From memory the celly paint was about £25 ish a liter if you can still get it.

You'll also need to line the garage with plastic sheet and wait for a nice dry day with low humidity.

For another idea have you thought about getting it wrapped.

Steve

A local body shop near work ( SE London )gave me a price to re spray the whole car in gulf cols like Graham Goodall did his Mk of about a grand as a cash job and would need 4 days.

They have an oven etc and have worked on company cars and directors classics in the past so a good job.

Daz the old bill must be damaging cars a lot so where do they go. They will have plenty of blue and white paint ( not sure about yell )

I am sure there was a police car paint job on a seven at a show pos a MK

Stephen

I paid £350 to get 2 front arches, 2 Superspec rear wings and a nosecone painted in pearl orange. It's not a mint job but it's looks fine and fibreglass will never look as good painted as metal unless you do an awful lot of blocking down first because the moulds aren't that good to start off with.

In the past I would have sprayed it myself in cellulose, put plenty on and wet flatted it smooth but as a lot of paint now is base and clearcoat (and the pearl is a 4 stage process), I decided to give it a miss.

Paintwork is one of those things where you temd to get what you pay for. Maybe your best option is to sort the cracks out and get the panels prepped and then just get someone to do the spraying. Whatever you do you've got to get the paint but at least you can minimise the labour.

Have a quick look at this thread - http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=46004

Guest The Modfather

Thanks guys.

I think it will be a case of speaking to some bodyshops, and seeing how much they want so long as I prep. I have one just around the corner but they do prestige classic cars like Mercs, Bentleys, Rollers etc, so I'm not holding my breath with their prices. They had a Bentley Blower in there the last time I MOT'd my tin top, shipped in from France just for an MOT (English lady who lives between here and France).

I want to get it sorted as it's looking tired but mechanically it will all be sorted. All the hard work on the oily bits will be let down by the shiney bits.

Daz