Rust!

Guest 2bsprint

Guest 2bsprint

Hi

Whilst working on my 2B last night, I noticed that there were some rust on some of the chassis tubing, the kit is a stainless version.

Has others found this and what is the best way of protecting it without actually painting the whole lot

Thanks

Glynn

The chassis tube is stainless not stainfree & if it's magnetic it has a higher proportion of ferrous so more likely to discolour; most noticed around welds where the heat affected zone has altered the chemistry. Our chassis was bought 4 years ago,just passed IVA, no signs of ferrous oxide -- yet. Keep fingers crossed & car in a warm,dry garage is our plan at the moment.

i've had my car for 5 years and about 40,000 miles all year around. If there is any corrosion underneath the dirt, i suspect the rate is so low as lot to be significant.

how about a cloth buffing wheel just to remove the surface oxidation? not got a SS chassis myself so no idea how well that would work but something like this maybe My link

Then just a metal polish or i guess even car wax would do.

anyone else tried it?

hth

like said above high grade stainless is brittle so it will probably be lower grade similar to a kitchen sink which is in the 400's.

salt water will attack most stainless upto 316 grade (food quality) and some chemicals will attack that also.

always rinse off salt water and a good stainless cleaner/polish such as 3M will help protect it.

Guest chris brown

just clean it off with ss polish like this. It is more like tarnish rather than rust, and unlike rust on mild steel it doesn't seem to get any deeper if left. My car lives out and has done for all of its 8 years and yes there is bits that look rusty but it soon cleans off.

Guest 2bsprint

Example of the staining which occured after towing it back to my home in Jan in the snow.

Looks like a purchase of some stainless steel polish is about to take place ;-)

Thanks Guys

post-1121-0-18235500-1301427721_thumb.jpg