Car Tax

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

just been down to the post office to re tax my cars, No.1 my 2b 2ltr efi , No2 RangeRrover 3.9 efi, they both cost the same to road tax ???

if it's down to Co2 my Range Rover is cleaner than my pinto (looking at the MOT the Co2 for the pinto was 0.79%, the,RR 0.31%) so why is it they are the same cost :diablo:

peter2b

The Co2 percentage might be lower on the RR but the output per mile will be more that the Pinto because the engine is bigger.

You're actually getting great value on the RR - before March 2001 it's 2 bands for car tax, up to 1549cc and then over 1549cc. If the RR was newer than March 2001 you'd probably be in the top band, band M and paying £435 a year.

We don't have road tax here, but the cost of petrol has just gone up to £1, couldn't believe it when i filled my car earlier.

The road tax is now on fuel so the Spanish end up paying for most of our roads etc as they all come over here for the cheap fuel, spirits and fags.

I keep going into shock when i come back to the UK

if it's down to Co2 my Range Rover is cleaner than my pinto (looking at the MOT the Co2 for the pinto was 0.79%, the,RR 0.31%) so why is it they are the same cost :diablo:

peter2b

Don't get confused between carbon monoxide (CO) which is a measure of the mixture which is measured at the MOT and the modern method of taxing cars based on carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions per km, which is a method of working out how much fuel a car uses.

Our main car costs £155 to tax, for 12,000 miles a year which I'm happy with.

It's taxing the Hood and my run around/work car that hurts. Between them they don't do 5,000 miles a year, but cost me over £200 each.

Nick

even so if I drive my 2b with a heavy foot it does the same mpg as my Range Rover

peter2b

Agreed, but they predate / there is no data for the CO2 levels so they just go on engine size. May not be as fair as the current system but at least we're not paying £450 a year like some modern cars of a similar performance do.