Brake Upgrade

Guest motokustom

Guest motokustom

My 2B has new Sierra Calipers and new pads and discs but maybe its just me but the braking performance is not even comparable to my 58 plate C Max. I see there are all manor of brake upgrades out there. Anyone suggest a good setup? also cost effective! Willwood look ok but I know nothing about them. Brembo, AP are the main two I have heard of. Very expensive too! I think I saw willwood 4 pot calipers and discs for the front of a Sierra axle for around £350 - £400 does this sound right? Has anyone had better or more cost effective systems? I wonder if other ford calipers work? Off other models? As usual any information is greatfully received. I have the Sierra servo and master cylinder installed, is there an upgrade to be done here?

Oh I still have the drums on the back and plan a disc upgrade asap still looking for parts!!?

to me, it sounds like you have an issue with your braking system that needs resolving rather than just throwing money at it. In what way is the braking performance inadequate? What is the history of the components? Is there a bias valve fitted?

post up a description of what the problem(s) are.....the standard set up is pretty impressive on our light cars.

My setup is standard vented disks, standard calipers, Mintex 1144 pads & drum rears.

the only change I have made is a floor mounted pedal & master cylibder.

That wasnt for performance, just lack of space.

I can still lock up all 4 wheels even on TOYO 888s.

I agree, dont shell out til you sort the problem.

Bob

As above - standard discs & drums with original servo locked up far too easily on mine so I got rid of the servo !

I reckon that you've got something not working quite right if yours doesn't want to stop.

Steve

i had the standard sierra vented discs on the front, which worked fine, just looked really small behind big wheels.

i opted for mk1 focus rs brembos 324mm

bit of an overkill really but they were going cheap off a friend.

another common upgrade on fiestas are mk3 mondeo calipers with 300mm focus st170 discs. from what i could see it will work with sierras, so should be fine for us lot

although i think mintex 1144 pads will probably be fine as a cheap fix for the problem!

Guest mower man

I run 260mm vents Hi-spec budget alloy 4 pots and fast road pads no limiter valve ,std servo and std rear drums it does every thing I want ! ABS is between my ears ! not a track car but gets driven with attitude . Cost of the calipers ,discs and pads under 300 quid delivered in 2 days from order fitted and tried same night!

If you have standard sierra discs and drums and still have the servo fitted you should be worrying about the brakes being too fierce and learning to go very gently with the brake foot! So there must be a problem with the system.

Disconnect the servo pipe and go for a drive. Any different? Is the servo working?

Have the pads become contaminated?

Are the pistons and sliders freely moving?

Is the pedal long and spongy or firm?

New Mintex 1144 all round should be all a standard hood without servo should need. All mines got and brakes are good.

Also.

Greenstuff pads = brownstuff pants.

Nigel

Guest motokustom

to me, it sounds like you have an issue with your braking system that needs resolving rather than just throwing money at it. In what way is the braking performance inadequate? What is the history of the components? Is there a bias valve fitted?

It passed the SVA test the day before and was checked with and without servo and ok

Guest motokustom

The brakes work but just feel poor in my opinion. Like I said my 98 plate C Max's brakes are loads better. Better feel, sharper etc. Maybe its a sign of age?? 1987 v 2008? The whole brake system is new except the servo. New calipes, pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, disc calipers too. The only other used part was the drum backplates!

I will try bleeding them and see what happens if anything. The SVA did a thorough test only 2 days ago and passed them as ok.??

Guest motokustom

Actually the only comment from the tester was that the pressure needed for braking effort was not much difference between servo and not... He used a pad on his shoe for effort.... Maybe a look at the servo then first as if it should be fierce then this would be the place to start. Even my master cyl is a new item

Guest motokustom

I run 260mm vents Hi-spec budget alloy 4 pots and fast road pads no limiter valve ,std servo and std rear drums it does every thing I want ! ABS is between my ears ! not a track car but gets driven with attitude . Cost of the calipers ,discs and pads under 300 quid delivered in 2 days from order fitted and tried same night!

Sounds decent your set up!? Details please!!

Guest motokustom

I tell you what would anybody draw me a diagram to motokustom@yahoo.co.uk of their system. I bought my 2B nearly completed and so the brakes were all installed. I have had the rears apart and sorted them properly. I beleive I have a pipe from the servo to the inlet manifold. I need to go look properly but what should I have? I can then reverse and check components etc. Are there any one way valves in the system. If one was incorrect on mine that would or could explain things?...

I have done the usual test like the tester of pumping up the brake and letting it go down as started... all seems ok. I suppose best description is hardish pedal and have to lean on it then she stops! Im sorry if I am wasting anyones time here it may just be fine and my expectations to high? BUT from what you all say I think they should be sharper.... thanks Dave

Inlet manifold to servo has a plastic pipe which is bolt on at manifold end and push fit at servo end. It does have a one way valve in it so the manifold can suck to create vacuum in the servo but air can't get back in to servo. If there are no leaks there should be two pumps left in the servo next morning when you get in the car before the pedal goes hard. The fact that there is little pedal pressure difference, with or without the servo at SVA suggests a leak, perhaps servo diaphragm.

Nigel

ps Congratulations on the IVA pass!!!

post-21-0-80177500-1312321650_thumb.jpg

Guest mower man

Sounds decent your set up!? Details please!!

P.M. your adress to me and I sort some photo's and spec for you note the price quoted is 4/5 years ago but enquire direct to HI Spec you will get a better price than a dealer in a mag !!!mower man :good: