Non-starter

Guest rwh

Hi all, I hope someone out there can help.

I am having problems with trying to start my Zetec. It is a brand new engine from GBS bought with the kit and until I took the engine out a month or so ago to put a new release lever pivot bolt in the bell housing, I had no problems turning the engine over. Since putting it back in all I get from the starter motor is a "clunk" and all the warning lights dim and go out. I tried turning the engine over on the starter with the spark plugs out and it spins over no problem, plugs back in and "clunk".

I have tried another battery, a jump start from another car and even got a replacement starter motor (reconditioned)but all to no avail. I have double checked the engine and chassis earth straps and can find nothing wrong.

I have totaly run out of ideas so can anyone think of anything I could have missed or that I could check before I end up in the local nut house?

sound like volt drop.

If engine turns ok when there is no load, eg plugs out. it would indicate nothing is jamming the engine. so we can assume work in bell housing is OK

If you have tried another battery, and a starter with same outcome, we should exclude these for the moment.

The only thing left are the connections between the battery, starter motor and return through the chassis to the battery.

Starter draws more current under load, any poor connection will reduce the power to the starter.

As you would have removed the feed and earth wires, to get the engine out, these are the first suspects. if you are sure of the earth's, recheck the live feed.

Just a tip, poor connections can get very warm.

Just had another go with an earth wire direct from the starter to the battery. Same result - "clunk". Took the plugs out again and had my nephew look to see if the pistons were moving when I activated the starter. This time with the plugs out the engine wouldn't turn over, so maybe before it was the starter motor spinning and not the engine as I thought. So there is nothing for it but to take the engine out at the week-end to see if something is jamming the flywheel.

With the plugs out, can you turn the engine over with a spanner on the crank pulley? If not then something inside the engine is preventing it from turning over. See if you can wind the engine backwards to determine whether the engine has rotated against an obstruction or if it's locked solid.

If it will turn over with a spanner, re-fit one plug and try again. If the plug is fouling the piston you should at least be able to turn the engine almost a complete turn before it stops. If it turns over ok, then fit the rest of the plugs one at a time and turn it over again after fitting each plug.

If it's all OK with all the plugs fitted then maybe the starter motor isn't fully engaging with the flywheel. If you remove the started can you see signs of damage on either the starter pinion or the flywheel?

With the plugs out, can you turn the engine over with a spanner on the crank pulley? If not then something inside the engine is preventing it from turning over. See if you can wind the engine backwards to determine whether the engine has rotated against an obstruction or if it's locked solid.

If it will turn over with a spanner, re-fit one plug and try again. If the plug is fouling the piston you should at least be able to turn the engine almost a complete turn before it stops. If it turns over ok, then fit the rest of the plugs one at a time and turn it over again after fitting each plug.

If it's all OK with all the plugs fitted then maybe the starter motor isn't fully engaging with the flywheel. If you remove the started can you see signs of damage on either the starter pinion or the flywheel?

Hi Rich,

The engine ran (badly due to mapping problems) before I took it out, these problems only came about since I put it back. I can't turn the engine over by hand so I must have misaligned or dislodged something when I put it back, so out it comes this week end.