Private Plate Transfer?

Guest Lee reed

Guest Lee reed

I was just about to click buy on a private plate for my 2B Plus when I thought I better check the log book. The car is on the number plate of the donor G--- ---

however the special note on the log book states "non-transferable regristration mark". Does this mean I can not fit the plate I was going to buy (which was also a G- ---) or is it that I just can not allocate the existing plate to another car. Lee

Guest ethanicus

It means the current plate is non transferable. You can transfer any private plate Up to a G. You can't make a car look newer than it is. The current plate will stay in the background and will be re applied if you transfer to another car or put it on retention. I buy mine from DVLA registrations as they are always the cheapest. The price shown includes all the fees required to get the plate on the car. Once you buy the plate you have 12 months to transfer it to a car or you have to pay £100 to extend the retention.

Please remember if your car is stolen and never recovered you will lose the plate.

Single digit numbers are always worth more than double over time.

Hope that helps.

According to a google search ,they all say the same.You can put one onto it.But you cant keep or transfer the one thats on.

My V5 document says my registration mark is 'non-transferable'. Can I transfer a New Reg onto my vehicle?

Yes, in some cases. Although you cannot transfer or retain a non-transferable registration mark, the vehicle can receive a registration mark providing the non-transferable registration mark is not a 'Q' prefix, and providing the vehicle meets the normal conditions of the Sales, Transfer and Retention schemes.

I put a private plate on my F reg kit a year or so back. Was thinking about selling the kit so took the plate off a while later. Added bonus was that the DVLA gave me back a different plate number. Not the original F plate, but a 53 plate from December '03 when I built it. Many builders had to provide the DVLA with a fully documented build with new or refurbished parts to get a new build 53 plate in 2003 when I built mine. The incompetent DVLA gave me mine for nothing!! Got to love the DVLA

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

I took my 53 plated blackbird powered hood for an MOT last week. I also took along the V5C. It doesn't have any values on it for emissions, so the tested looked at each other, looked at me and said, 'as there is no chance of finding some values on their system, and since there is no values on the log book, they is no point testing the emissions, as they didn't know what they were testing to'. Happy days. No comment about a cat either. Taking the car to a back street garage, they were more interested in looking at the car than testing it!

Andy