Headlight Alignment

Guest dctough

Guest dctough

I'm trying to figure out how to align my headlights for the IVA but the diagram in the IVA manual is unclear. I understand the dipped beam breakpoint has to be within certain tolerances, but I don't understand how the tolerances are defined. So my question is; are the tolerance band percentages related to:

a- the horizontal distance between the headlamp and the vertical plane the light is being shone against (ie a wall)

or

b- the vertical distance of the headlamp centre-line above the ground

I am also assuming the the 0% reference lines are associated with the centre line and centre height for each individual headlight and that each headlight has to be set-up seprately so that the beams from each headlight are effectively parallel. Otherwise you'd get a weird 'cross-eyed' headlight look going on.

Confirmation either way would be great.

Dave

post-3897-0-18161000-1320252161_thumb.jpg

Don't get too carried away on this, it's not necessary.

I just parked my car about 6 feet from my garage door, turned the lights on and set the lights very roughly so that the horizontal cut-off was the same on both and set around about the height of the centre of the lamp.

When I had my IVA, this turned out to be pretty well spot on but if you leave the nuts under the headlamps slightly loose, the examiner will probably adjust them for you - takes literally seconds to do and then you can just nip the nuts up afterwards.

Pull your tin top up and shine the lights on dip against a wall / door and mark where they shine, pull the kit up (in the same place) and match the spots, this should be close enough as you will be allowed to adjust them at the test (but if you are driving there in the dark you don't want them to far out)

MUST TYPE FASTER

Edited by Redspec

The six feet from the garage door bit works well. If you set the steering absolutely straight ahead, roll the car as close as you can get it, nose cone off is even better and accurately mark the centre point of each lamp. That establishes the 0 reference lines both horizontal and vertical. Then roll the car back 6ft-10 feet and switch on the dipped beams. You need the cutoff about 1/2" below the horizontal and 1" to left of the vertical at about 10 feet. The garage headlight beam tool is not much more accurate than that.

Nigel