Dizzy Or Electronics To Lose Points.

maccavvy

I currently have a pinto engine with old skool points.

thinking of losing them in the winter mods list.

Can anyone recommend a kit to modify mine or a whole dizzy to swap out.

Or does anyone have an unneeded one i can purchase.

cheers guys

something called an aldon ignitor is a direct replacement, take the points and condensor out and this fits in it's place i believe. roughly £80

alternatively, you could go the standard ford leccy ignition route

bestek i believe are good

or push the boat out and get a megajolt, which is what i'm running, seems a very good bit of kit, but a bit more complex.

im sure others will be able to give their thoughts on this too though

Guest mower man

The prob with the generic non points kits is that if the dizzy is worn you still can't get accurate timing Bestek are prob the best of the bunch but the real answer is bin it and fit Megajolt or sim [i'm doing it when the weather gets better]

Hi,

I'm currently in the middle of a megajolt set-up on my pinto and as such, I have my electronic dizzy, coil pack and ford module etc....up for grabs (£50) if you want to collect (derbys).

Worked well but I've upgraded to a megajolt system for better tuning capacity.

• 8 months later...
Guest scrabster

hi, i have the bestek system fitted to my zero,unfortunatly it broke down last sunday on the way back from what was a good day out.the ignition amplifier gave up the ghost,bestek said they could fix it as they only do repairs and warranty work,they no longer supply new systems. i am going to barkstone next week and they couldnt guarantee to fix it by then. i found a place in Brieley Hill ,West Midlands called H & H ignitions. dropped it of wed afternoon and got it back today,the new amplifier is now attached to the dizzy with only a pos and neg to connect to the coil.good service and price means they get my £'s in the future.

regards,jess.

One problem that came up ona mates 1.6 Crissflow Fury was that he replaced points with Acuspark but had a ballast coil, caused big problems, now he runs the correct 12v coil no issues.

If you are going to convert to accuspark look for hidden balast resistor/capacitor

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi , Change my old points last winter to accuspark ignition . At the same time i also fitted accuspark h t leads and accuspark tripple point spark plugs . Had been having a problem when travlling at low speed in 5th gear , engine would to miss . Since changing over problem solved . Fitting the new system is very easy.

Cheers Neil.

Just to add info, the double, triple, or quad electrode plugs don't give a better or stronger spark they just last longer, electricity will always find the easiest route to ground as the electrodes wear the spark will just favour the less worn