How Much Glassfibre For Rear Arches

agent_zed

Hi

thinking of making my own rear arches out of fibreglass to replace the mildsteel/GF ones. anyone know how much GF i will need?

I was going to use the outer GF edges as supplied by RH and then join it to the new GF bit that will replace the steel part.

eg is 1kg per arch enough or too much. i assume this http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35a5f96302 would be fine to use and just need matting. any idea how much. how many layers should i do?

do i need a gel coat as i will be painting them anyway?

any info appreciated.

thanks

i did wonder about buying but i would have to change all the holes in the rear panel and fill/weld the ones that would be showing as i believe the GF ones for the 2b sit lower than the 2 piece ones. i like the way mine sit i just want them to look a bit better.

I did fill and smooth the gaps on one side and it looks pretty smart but its started to pull apart a little and i always have to worry about rust as i've got mild steel ones.

The 2b ones are £135 160 (inc vat - just checked) and i'd have to paint them anyway to match my car so i was just wondering what is the cost/benefit if i make my own. If it costs me that in materals then its not worth it but if i can save £50+ then i don't mind a days work to get what i want.

thanks

Edited by agent_zed

Guest paulrrh2b

Hi

My reccomendation would be to buy and modify to suit. Making your own will require a pattern of right hand and left hand to be made first which are identical. Then laminate your wings, ensuring no air etc, trim and finish.

I used to make items like this proffessionaly years ago and its quite a pain.

Paul

I agree, would be a big job to make your own, best to buy a pair and modify.

I did just that on my 2b, I used rear arches from I think an S7 and modified the rear panel.

There are some pictures on my web site.

http://www.johnskitcar.com

Go to the 6th tab and then Build, I have some more pics if you are interested.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

John