Another Steering Wheel Snapped

speedtripledan

As I said earlier, i've got a brand new one still in it's box in the garage, (got a few years ago at a show).

Wouldn't consider selling or giving it away, just in case it fails and someone gets hurt (or worse).

So it'll go in the recycling bin when I can be arsed to get it off the shelf (after cutting with the angry, just to ensure no one can use it)

• Like 1

I got one and the flex back and forth is worrying. I can see how these would fail. Mines the 320mm one

if something is flexed it will eventually brake, and of course, crap metal will cause it to brake sooner rather than later.

what I,m puzzled at, is that the wheel rim is flexed back and forth in the first place, isn't the greatest design load on the wheel when turned left and right, when stationary or at slow speeds, or the shock of hitting a pot hole for example?

what force would cause it to flex back and forth? or have I missed something?

Valid point but for me its a handrail getting in and out the car. But its a very soft metal, you get what you pay for i guess.

certainly can't disagree, you certainly do get what you pay for in this life, and many pay to much for what they get, especially when it has some desirable name attached, sorry still haven't got over my daughters trainer needs.

you have honestly answered my question. we do use things on occasion, in a way it was not intended, cheap or not, can we really fault the item if it then fails, or the supplier for selling it or the manufacturer for making it. or ask the office of fair trading to have them all recalled.

should the wheel be strong enough to be used as a handrail, possibly yes

Back to front side to side makes no odds they are cheap Chinese crap, it wasn't a very nice feeling braking hard feeling the thing snap in my hands.

should the wheel be able to withstand the force a driver may exert when braking, defiantly yes

but is it essential in the design brief, for that wheel to do its primary function, at that price? probably not.

you pay your money etc etc......................

Edited by knights_templar