What Temp Does Your Fan Cut In.

As the title really.

Mine seems to be running lots,it has an adjustable thermostat but unsure to mess with it till i get some feedback

cheers in advance

btw 2.0 pinto more or less standard

Guest MarkB

As the title really.

Mine seems to be running lots,it has an adjustable thermostat but unsure to mess with it till i get some feedback

cheers in advance

btw 2.0 pinto more or less standard

85-90, well it will when i put a new fan sender in

Guest MarkB

To be honest marcus you can have it cut in at 100, it aint going to boil at that unless your rad cap allows no pressure, for every pound of pressure your cap is rated the boiling point rises by approx 2 degrees farenheit

• 2 weeks later...

Ed, all cars should have a fan. Yours may be hidden in the nose cone. If using a pinto engine then the viscous fan on the water pump is fine if close enough to the rad. Cowl it for more efficiency.

Otherwise it down to the scrappy or an aftermarket supplier to get an electric fan.

Fans are best fitted behind the radiator, close to it or up against it, cowled in and sucking through the rad. The blades are usually designed to work most efficiently in one direction only. Wire it the correct way round! Swapping the wires on the terminal make the fan rotate the other way so get it right. You will need something to switch it on and off. Thermostatic switch in rad or manual switch on dash.

Dan, if you have an 'on trigger' at 103 your fan will not come on if you lose cooling system pressure as the water can't get hotter than 100 at atmospheric. Either set to 99 or fit a manual switch as a backup for that day the rad cap refuses to seal or falls off.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I had only looked through the nose cone / engine bay. Wasn't until I scrambled under the car I spotted the fan. Looks like it's manually operated from the cabin, a useful thing to have known from seller when moving slowly, think I need to wire this to a stat.

Thanks

Ed

Thanks Nigel, I had only looked through the nose cone / engine bay. Wasn't until I scrambled under the car I spotted the fan. Looks like it's manually operated from the cabin, a useful thing to have known from seller when moving slowly, think I need to wire this to a stat.

Thanks

Ed

Hi Ed

If it's the standard rad that came with the rover / superspec kit, the thermostatic switch for the fan is in the bottom right corner on the front of the rad looking from the nose cone.

Steve

Ah cheers, I could see the connection. Going to have a hunt around this weekend to see if there is a variable resistor / relay in there somewhere...if it would stop raining. Really need to get the garage built!!

Ta

ed