Weekends Progress Update

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

after numerous posts on here about windscreens and wet weather gear, yesterday i made my move on fitting the screen and wet weather gear.

What a complete and utter nightmare, out of the whole build of the car this was by far the most difficult thing ive had to do. I got a premade windscreen frame from GBSC, which made things much much easyer.

I think the biggest problem i had was buying second hand weather gear, as this had been already fitted to another car it meant it fitted on the other car, however as you know no 2 kit cars are identical making things slightly awkward. However after 2 days of struggling (and without any help in the slightest) i have managed to put up this tent around my car. I would not say its the best fitting wet weather gear in the world. and some of it really could be better, but i dont think it turned out too bady! here are some pics:

71e32250.jpg

1bf2f4e5.jpg

8d82266c.jpg

9d11d811.jpg

c6729410.jpg

the next step is to bond in the windscreen (i attempted to make it fit with the seal) but there was no chance in hell it was going in with the seal! so i threw it accross the garage. once the windscreen is bonded in i can then remove the scuttle from the car and start soring out the wipers...( you can guarentee i will be asking many electrical questions in the next week!)

ive then got to get the doors to fit, i need to order some new hinges and they should go on fairly easily!

and obviously fit the seal under the windscreen support to scuttle jib jab.

anyway yeh, never want to fit wet weather gear to anything again in my life.

Guest mcramsay

Getting in was not too bad! Bear in mind I'm 24 do still rather supple ( if a tad heavy for my height!) I physicallyhad to crawl out on my hands and knees though... It will make people laugh in car parks when it's raining.

Practise Craig, just practise. Me & my mrs can get in & out of our 2B with the roof (surrey) on no problem & we are both pensioners. Don't have any side skirt to our surrey design though. Give us a P.M when ready to fit wipers,can give you a hand if required.

Hi Macramsay,

From the look of your pics you have made a good job of fitting the hood.

Fitted my wipers over the week end but have a couple of issues, like they worked fine then tried to go backwards and stopped working altogether and the washers work all the time when the ignition is on (without pressing the button at the end of the stalk). To say I am totally pi55ed off is an understatement, as I spent all week end on this job and feel like I have achieved nothing.

Bob

Guest mcramsay

To be honest for 80% of the day I didn't think It was going to fit, and of it did fit it was going to look dreadful. I ended up changing the pivot point on the tensioning hoops, this dropped the hood down slightly and then allowed me match it to where the windscreen was positioned. It wasn't till the end of the day after fitting the last press stud that I stood back and looked and thought that it actually looked like an ok attempt! As I said the wipers will be the next struggle and then finally the doors! Which shouldn't be to much of a headache, I just need some new hinges!

Guest MarkB

Hi Macramsay,

From the look of your pics you have made a good job of fitting the hood.

Fitted my wipers over the week end but have a couple of issues, like they worked fine then tried to go backwards and stopped working altogether and the washers work all the time when the ignition is on (without pressing the button at the end of the stalk). To say I am totally pi55ed off is an understatement, as I spent all week end on this job and feel like I have achieved nothing.

Bob

you have probably put an earth to the none switch side of the motor, needs to be a live, most washer switches put an earth out when switched..... just think backwards

Guest mikeh

Total admiration for anyone fitting their own weathergear! I cheated and got GBS to fit it whilst the car was up with them having its IVA.

Having just got the car back (IVA completed) and ready for the road, the getting in and out with the weathergear on can be a bit challenging for an overweight 61 year old! The missus has shown absolutely no interest in the build (apart from regular hostile adverse comments and suggestions that she might invite the scrap metal dealers to pop round whilst I am at work!) but as soon as I try to slither in and out of the car, she is right there laughing her head off!

On the positive side though, its easier being the driver than a passenger as the latter, in addition to spinal dislocation, stands to get third degree burns off the exhaust on getting out!

Mike

I'll second the 'hats off', I think you have made an excellent job of it. Like Mog, I cheated and had GBS fit mine. Sorry I didn't get the photos up for you, looks like you don't need them now. :drinks:

Guest mcramsay

To be honest I think I found it easyer to fit by just putting things where they fitted best rather than technically exactly where they should go! So not having any pics actually was the best way I think! It meant I didn't get in a stress because it didn't look like somebody else's! If you get what I mean, haha it might look ok but it might blow off when I drive down the road!