Differential Heat?

fry61

Came back from the Peaks meet,motorway/dual carriageway for 200+ miles at between 60/75 mph all without problems. Unloaded the car & trailer tent & noticed that boot floor was warm; can only assume heat was from diff which is 50/60mm below. So question, is this O.K? How warm would the diff internals be;does anything need checking;diff was filled with new H/P oil when Florin was built 12,000 miles ago.

Mmmm must check mine sometime

I would assume that as the Sierra diff is used in V6 powered Sierras, Cosworth and many high powered kit cars it's fairly robust and we don't hear of many failures

Quite a large amount of heat goes down the transmission tunnel so could be a combination of hot air down tunnel and little air flow round diff other than hot air that's coming down the tunnel ????????????

if there's no vertical play in the driveshafts coming from the diff and it has oil in it, i would be happy enough that it's ok.

Diffs can put of a few kW of heat. If the drive train absorbs 20%, and it takes 50bhp to propel a car at 70mph, 10bhp = 7.5Kw spread between gearbox, diff and tyres.

The diff in the NIssan 200sx donor has its own oil cooler attached. It was a 3.92 unit, so the internals would have been doing the same work as the Sierra one. Obviously the Japs noticed that they get hot..