Building A Zetec Engine Loom For Zero?

Guest Andy Gaskell

Guest Andy Gaskell

hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any detailed 'how to' or diagrams for building your own Zetec engine wiring loom to join up to the gbs zero loom and emerald?

I have the zero fitted with a 2lt zetec and the latest gbs chassis loom, the original injection loom for the zetec and jenvey throttle bodies.

The made up loom wil have to connect to everything in the engine bay ie. fuel pump etc so will need to know pin configs for the emerald ecu and gbs loom??

I am an electrician so not a novice to wiring etc.

After all this am i just being cheep? should i just buy the loom from gbs? just irritating thinking of paying over 300 pounds for that small loom! especially since i have the injection loom and the engine plugs etc already..

any help you guys could pass on would be great cheers!

Andy

When I changed to injection the engine loom was completely unwrapped but no wires disconnected. Plugged all in where possible gave some idea of routing,used minitrunk screwed/glued to nearest chassis rail then fed in each wire;short/lengthen each as required. When all done & engine/instruments running correctly cut mintrunk for any wire exits req. & taped flying ends to plugs.

Been a good-un for 15,000miles -- so has main loom which is made from donor loom.

I presume you have an emerald already. I would go to the scrap yard and get the plugs for the Coil pack, crank sensor, temp sensor cut erm off with a bit of wire on to attach your loom to. On the emerald webpage the ECU pinout should be there. You would need a fuse and relay for the fuel pump. Also might me a good ideal to put a fuse into the power supply for the ecu.

Injectos connectors you can just cut off the loom you already have now. Also you can buy a TPS connector from Jenvey. Am not an electrician but managed to wire up all my car loom and engine loom with a lot of help on here.

Here is a link to emerald manual

http://www.emeraldm3...oftware-manuals

Edited by femster

Guest alfaGTA

Emerald also do a flying loom for £70 which may help you? I'll be going down this route in a few months so brain dump everything here!!

The attached sensors will probably be the vast majority of the GBS loom cost.........

Emerald are very helpful on the phone too.

zetec loom does not have everything you need, but it is a start.

you will need connectors for coil pack and crank sensor, as well as wiring and connectors for fuel pump and temp sensors, ECU and gauge, temp transmitter already on the zetec will not work Emerald ECU.

fan, ecu power and fuel pump relays are all in the main loom, but you will need the the adaptor plug, or hack your plug and play loom.

think I would cost it before making a decision, but would be surprised if you would save much, and you lose the look of the GBS loom.

have to say it would be a bit of a challenge though, and worth doing for that alone.

• 1 month later...

Hi Richard

take your point re loom but would guess your tin top loom is built the same way.

would agree with some of the the connector though, but aren’t they the ones you have take apart, or make up the other side.

a simple, connector, not requiring special tools etc would make sense.

I am with "Notimpressed" on this one, not really a leccy by trade, but with the Emerald manual you have all of the pin outs in the back somewhere and then just get yourself a stack of different coloured wires from VWP and crack on.

The sensors are usually Junior Power Timer connectors and come as a pack with terminations and boots and if you scout around a bit you can find the three pin one for the Ford coil pack and also the one you need for your brake master cylinder. VWP also sell convoluted tubing, heat shrink and whatever else you think you will need - personally I like the look of the black snake skin braiding and some heat shrink and then everything looks fairly professional.

Same as everything else on your build, spend time planning, re-planning and having a few brews in between and you will get a decent result. Mine tended to look like a mad woman's knitting bag for weeks, but I got there in the end and the satisfaction of it all working was second to none.

Good luck and remember RHOCAR and Mr Google are your best buddies on this one!

All the best

Sharky