Guest Bobbers

Guest Bobbers

Hi I've been thinking of getting a kit car for a while ,selling my bikes then on it ,I want to by a built one or one that needs a bit of work .is a Robin Hood a suitable car for a novice ,is there any models to avoid ? What the best engine and gearbox .i would like to use the car on the road so is insurance a problem and how do they work out tax on a kit? Any helpfull info would be greatly appreciated ..regards bob

Hi I've been thinking of getting a kit car for a while ,selling my bikes then on it ,I want to by a built one or one that needs a bit of work .is a Robin Hood a suitable car for a novice ,is there any models to avoid ? What the best engine and gearbox .i would like to use the car on the road so is insurance a problem and how do they work out tax on a kit? Any helpfull info would be greatly appreciated ..regards bob

Welcome to RHOCaR Bob, plenty of models out there to play with, insurance wise they are generally cheap, im 41 i pay £112 on a Robin Hood 2b 2.0 pinto with bike carbs (currently for sale) :db: , road tax is £220 for the year which i think is about the norm, as far as models to avoid are concerned... make sure whatever you buy is registered correctly... make sure the make on the log book is the make of car not a sierra or triumph or whagtever the donor car was.

Pop your location on your profile, there maybe members near you who can let you have a look round their cars, tell you the highs/lows of ownership, it will give you a better idea what your heading for.

hi bob i was same did not no which way to go but when had chance of registered kit car i thought its winter i can strip and rebuild what needs doing over winter which is what i am doing its my first one put your location if you near by you can always nip round see how far i got :db:

Guest alfaGTA

welcome bob, as said above the major bit is to get a car that is properly registered! Q plates are fine and makes no difference whatsoever so don't worry too much about it, service history/miles are not too important either.... Buy on condition from an owner that know's their car inside out including all its issues ;) don't be afraid to put a potential purchase up here for public viewing-many a man has been saved from buying a pit!

Ive had mine just over a year . I bought one built as i didnt have the time spare or the space to do it.

But wanted something i can tinker with . changed dash ,seats and wheels so far

Most robin hoods are based on sierra or even the cortina so pinto engines are common.very tuneable and simple to work on.

tax is as mark said 220 a year . insurance is cheap . im 39 and pay 120 quid 5000 miles.

Joining the club got me enough discount on my insurance to cover the cost ,plus you get discount at some retailers

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Bob,

Yeah, we don't all live in chip butty land, but that lot do make good sense, well most of the time.

Do put on your location in your profile. There will be an area sec near you. Get along to an area meeting and talk to the lads.

You could do a lot worse than Mark B's car.

Only the lightweight to avoid for sure and may be the sliding pillar as most can't set / get the suspension working.