Waterless Coolant...wheeler Dealers Tr6

edbond

Did not see it but this has come up before, I can see the benefits however its not used to any noticeable effect, we just don't see it, I deduce that it's not of benefit enough to be worth the cost and effort.

I have also heard that distilled water and 50% antifreeze is as good as it gets for cooling and corrosion resistance.

Yes,

I saw it also. But damn expensive £90 quid a fill if memory serves me correctly. Apparently it's used in colder climates as it has a far lower freezing point but also does not boil until at 150 deg+....

Think I will stick with the usual mix as it has not ever let me down...................................yet :crazy:

Guest Tim Norman

No. Anti freeze is full of all sorts of nasties which without the water would speed up corrosion.

I was tempted until I saw the price tag. And the fact you have to use a pre flush first to get all traces of te water out!

The car must have a rhocar account - went to a local garage to get an emissions test to see if I would have to play with exhaust / lambda over the winter lay up. Just on the final stages of the test, it dropped its guts on the garage floor (he was doing me a favour so felt bad!)

Cant remember the term, but one of the collant metal pipes (runs above the exhaust manifold) doesn't have a bump to hold the hose on so it just slipped off :( On a plus side I hadn't got around to putting coolant in yet so the garage did that for me and emissions were 0 CO 17 HC and 1.025 lamda (rover t series 2.0 engine registered 2010) All for a pint or 5 :)

Guest carlconrod

Hi Ed

I have read on here that the pipe that runs over the manifold isn’t required as it was the feed for the heater.

If you don’t have a heater fitted I would remove the pipe and block the ends with 15mm pipe with a ribbed stop end. http://www.screwfix.com/p/solder-ring-stop-ends-15mm-pack-of-2/39404

This is what i am doing today. ;)

Regards

Carl

Saw this on Wheeler Dealers as well.

Was interested but the cost is quite steep, even getting the stuff (pre flush and coolant) from E-Bay comes in at the £90 mentioned.

So i'll stick to Halfords best and change every 2 years (it's quite cheap with the Halfords trade card!) ;) ;)

Hi Ed

I have read on here that the pipe that runs over the manifold isn’t required as it was the feed for the heater.

If you don’t have a heater fitted I would remove the pipe and block the ends with 15mm pipe with a ribbed stop end. http://www.screwfix....pack-of-2/39404

This is what i am doing today. ;)

Regards

Carl

Carl,

There is supposed to be a return of coolant from the heater to the engine. If you just cap this off you could be building a dead leg in the system leading to air locks etc and possibly bursting the cap due to pressure increase.

Better to loop round and return back to the small inlet on the thermostat housing

Keeps everything circulating.

Guest carlconrod

Hi Alan

I thought that if you turned the heater off it closes a valve and the flow from the engine stopped? as this is what used to happen with the Morris miner And Mini.

Anyway i am not taking any chances and have replaced the steel pipe with a copper pipe with couplers each end.

Best

Regards

Carl