Hot Coil

Guest Ian & Carole

Guest Ian & Carole

Ian did you fix it ..

Stephen

Nope not yet, been in bed ill all over christmas!

Although it seems i might be barking up the wrong tree regarding the rough running not running when it gets warm.

It seems that there are bimetal strips holding the main jets in place in side the fuel bowls on the SU's which might be causing the poor running.

Not revisited the coil issue yet, hopfully at the weekend if I ever get this chest to stop making 3 kilos of green snot a day.

So if there are any HIF 44 experts out there answers on a post cards tooo.....

Guest Ian & Carole

I never definitely identified a condenser that went bad. And still can't! :(

Nigel

Nigel

Neither have I in all my years in the trade when points and condensers were all we had.

Shot in the dark really but it was the only thing that I hadn't changed because it looked brand new.

Just googled "How too" and it says to run 500v through it using a meggar ? and check resistance don't think I will be doing that though.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8033951_test-12volt-condenser.html

Yes, Capacitors / (condensers old name) are insulators at DC but are conductors for AC circuits/

Like a storage battery, they can be charged up by connecting to a dc supply and watch the voltage across them slowly decay with a good voltmeter when disconnected. If it drops very quickly, suspect the insulation is going bad.

(Actually , the drop is exponential to be truthful)

Simon.

Guest mcramsay

500v from a merger will check the insulation resistance to earth, if you have poor insulation or its breaking down then You will see a lower resistance. We use meggers at work to check motor windings, and phase balance on motors. Good bits of kit!

Guest mcramsay

Haha yea battery powered meggers! Push a button and off she goes, especially good for when you have it set on 1000v and you ask your mate to hold into a spanner which sneakily has a merger lead attached:)