Any One Good With Wiring?

theduck

I've checked what I can buy in all honesty I'm not sure which relays etc that I should be checking. I'm pretty sure I am missing some relays and that the ones I have probably are past there best.

I'm a bit useless when it comes to this side of things.

As daft as it sounds are you trying them with the ignition on? Can you hear a relay click when you move from side lights to dip beam? Feed from the light switch for dip and main beam is an earth not a live, these earths activate the relay... The relay then supplies a live to the headlamp units.

I have just spen ten minutes typing a long message giving the benefits of buying one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000RA17CS/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?creative=22218&creativeASIN=B000RA17CS&linkCode=asn&ref_=asc_df_B000RA17CS11597363&smid=A327GSNL65G6Q2&tag=shoppingmp11226-21. My phone then lost what I typed so..... A smaller write up = buy one they are good!!!

I will explain later when I'm on my laptop

I have just spen ten minutes typing a long message giving the benefits of buying one of these http://www.amazon.co...11226-21. My phone then lost what I typed so..... A smaller write up = buy one they are good!!!

I will explain later when I'm on my laptop

they are really good i bought one after seeing mark use one on my car it makes fault finding on a car so much easier....

So, ermmm... Well I've managed to get dipped headlights and dash illumination. Apparently checking your ignition switch is ACTUALLY turning on the ignition helps, who'd have known.

As it turns out pins 1 and 10 (brown) on my 'dash pod' connector do the dash illumination. The is with earthing to the chassis rather than via the loom, so still that bit to work out. Also means that the wiring diagram for earlier sierras that mark found isn't right for my loom :(

I get a relay click going from side lights to dip beam, but no relay click when turning on high beam, is that right?

Mark what does that tool you linked to do? Description on amazon isn't great. Happy to buy if it will save me a headache though.

the probe checks your wires for positive feeds or negative feeds, you can also apply a live feed or negative feed, the amount of time they save you when wiring is amazing, I introduced Dan and Tazzzzman to the delights of using this tool and both now have them, very usefull for finding wiring faults and also very usefull for checking individual circuits.

your dash illumination should work without ignition, turn the ignition off, turn your side lights on and then find a live feed, you may have found the dip beam indicator feed wire instead

You may be right, as it is only live with ignition on. Should I get a relay click when I connect it with the ignition on?

I feel like I am just getting more confused by the wiring :(

Will invest in one if those tools and see if I can get any further.

II think you need to go back to basics here and I'm not seeing anything on here that has identified which column stalks you have so you can tell if they're switched live or switched earth.

Can you get the steering wheel off and look for part numbers on the switches. You're looking for either 83BG or 87BG to denote early or late switches. Early ones are positive switching and late ones are earth switching.

Once this is established and we know what diagrams we're looking at, I could come over one evening an have a look?

If you aren't confident of wiring, get an ordinary MCB used in household consumer unit (10A should do) . Wire it between battery positive and battery + connector. If you have any shorts, it should operate before your loom or switch burns out. Have a go at drawing out what you've got- helps you see the wood for the trees. And makes future fault finding easier. I downloaded one from a westfield site that is a good starter, most cars are similar. HTH, Bri