Winter Project - Better Weather Protection?

richyb66

• 3 months later...

Sort of, like most things Robin Hood it's never totally finished. The hardtop has proved very worthwhile, the first time I did a long trip with it on, it hammered down with rain but the roof kept probably 98% of the water out. Here's the roof fitted on a rather wet day

239.jpg

240.jpg

Having used the roof a few times, a number of improvements are needed. Firstly I've had problems with the vinyl bubbling and lifting in a few places. This seems to have been made worse on the occasions that the roof had been fitted and the car has been in the sun. The vinyl gets very hot and despite having used high temperature glue, it's just not quite up to the job. My plan is to vinyl wrap the roof instead but I'll probably leave this until the winter when I won't need the roof for a while.

Secondly I use the doors without the roof most of the time. They're probably the most useful thing I've made and something I'd recommend others making if they've gotr no roof or weathergear as they make the car much nicer to drive. However at speed, the doors tend to benb inwards into the cabin due to the air pressure. I've cured this by addind some 20 x 20 x 1 aluminium angle along the whole length of the door between the upper and lower parts. This stiffens the door preventing it from bending and it means the door retains it shape and fits to the side of the car better.