Steering Column

fry61

Took Florin for an unofficial MOT to-day (2 year old) & have been advised that the "sealed for life" U/J at column base (next to rack) is failing due to being dry. Car has covered 18,000 miles in those 2 years, is this what to expect? The joint is in the complete lower half ;all welded section; up to the triangle shaft pinch clamp. Is there some-thing better,greaseable to replace this & can it be done without buying to complete piece? Thanks.

Al, trying to avoid welding near the U/J which is probably why present one has only made 2 years.

Have found on E-bay item 151003830919 which is a bottom column but for a Granada 81/83.

Any-one know if the bottom spline will be the same as Sierra? this column will allow cutting & sleeving to length with-out welding near the U/J's

I need the bottom U/J for the steering column,what's fitted is the modified RH lower column & I was trying to avoid replacement with similar as I think it's not lasted long due to being affected by heat soak during the assembly. So was looking for some method of using a new U/J without welding close to it. Does Sierra lower column have rod or tube coming away from bottom U/J? Thanks Bob from Bob.

Hi Bob,

I only have 1 UJ which connects to a standard Sierra rack.

It is on a column made up by RS Jigtec to fit their sliding pillar to wishbone conversion.

The lower joint fits the rack, the upper joint fits to the triangular inner rod from the steering column itself.

Overall it is 27 inches long. It fitted a 2B sliding pillar chassis, with a Pinto & a 4:1 exhaust. The tube is thick wall cold rolled steel.

Yours if it helps

Bob

post-71-0-09878400-1362482157_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-55908900-1362482166_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-32928000-1362482175_thumb.jpg