Steering Vibrate When Braking (Brake Disc Tolerance)?

bullfist

Steering wheel vibrate is the classic symptom when the brake discs are warped.

However my car is low mileage. So took off the discs and measured them - eight points around each disc and the difference was 0.2mm - which I put down to user measurement issues.

Thus:

1) Would this difference be enough to cause steering vibrate when braking?

2) what else could cause steering vibrate - loose suspension parts? Did find some loose items which I tightened up but vibration still persists.

Car is superspec (2B chassis). MOT is looming - should I purchase a spare pair of discs in case car fails MOT?

Thanks,

-Steve

I had a loose bracket on the lower wish bone a few years this caused car to pull hard to one side when braking. It was the lower wishbone rear mount that has a 90 degree bracket that had a small amount of movement but enough to cause quite a violent reaction when braking. hope this may help you

Thus:

1) Would this difference be enough to cause steering vibrate when braking?

2) what else could cause steering vibrate - loose suspension parts? Did find some loose items which I tightened up but vibration still persists.

Car is superspec (2B chassis). MOT is looming - should I purchase a spare pair of discs in case car fails MOT?

Thanks,

-Steve

I would have a look at the wheel bearings and see if you have any play in them also if the car has been sitting over the winter months check to see if the brake calipers are not sticking

what were you using to measure them? 0.2mm is a lot in thickness terms.

The most likely cause is rust between the hub face and disc causing the disc to run out of true, causing thickness variations due to uneven wear. Google disc thickness variation (DTV).

Guest peter2b2002

like phil,on ,my 2b+ the lower wishbone bracket was loose I hadn't put a locking bolt to stop it moving so it failed the mot as being loose when he put in a pry bar , having said that it didn't affect the bracking or stearing so I would got with warped discs , .2mm is enough to give vibration through the wheel

peter2b

Guest mower man

Would go for pad shielding on disc ,dirt /rust btween hub and disc or poss inner wishbone mounts bushes ,alowablle run out is in the order of 0.0002 " or0.0055 mm not a lot !! ,your fig of 0.2 mm or oo8".would be enough [figs are from Haynes don't jump on me ] but try mounting them on a diifferent hub o/s to n/s and or 90degs from orig pos after making sure no dirt /burrs / rust between hub and disc or just build them back up making sure pads are free and give them a pasting non of this is guaranteed but all have worked for me in the past mowerman :drinks: