Why A Robin Hood?

Guest David Thomas

Guest shaggy

carbs can be tweeked for optimum performance, i.e. matched to a hot cam, where fuel injection was originally designed for fuel economy, as opposed to motor performance

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David Thomas

Oh right I suppose that's where a remap comes in then. I was thinking it was maybe easier to sort out than fuel injection but if not then it doesn't matter. Fortunately for me my friend is just starting a mapping buisness up so that's great news for me.

I know you said about another engine but this car is designed for a ford so am into the ford engine.

So I think I will go with a pinto and put a turbo on it, it seems that it will run on standard internals safely with a turbo.

Just need to modify the engine to take it. As a cossie turbo manifold and set up is far too expensive but will give me more to do lol.

Turbo on a standard Ponto won't give much extra

You can run bigger boost on the low compression Transit Pinto

Rods are the weak link in a pinto and turbo on carbs is more difficult than injection

It all can be done but you need to research from the outset

Don't just fit a Pinto then turbo after plan ahead

if I were you id get a passenger ride in a pinto engine 2b.. mine is a standard engine bar a lightened flywheel.

youll be surprised how quick they are, you may not want a turbo.

once a cam is installed and bike carbs. youll be looking at 200+bhp per ton.

get over to Barnsley ill take you for a spin in mine.

I bought one that was built but iva'd but the dash and seats were horrible,so I swapped the seats and made a new dash.

then fitted new wheels. so its got a personal touch to it now. id dread doing the iva test in a old 2b model

Try to go with a modern, fuel injected engine if you can. You'll love it more in the long-term; there are no down-sides to it. It'll perform just as well as a carb'd engine at the top end, but should prove more tractable everywhere else, the starting will be better, the economy and the emmissions should be better overall too.

A lot of people are put off by the complexity. If you're the type who knows how to properly set up a twin DCOE setup then there's no reason why you can't set up a fuel injection system with a bit of reading, common sense and if need be a laptop. But let's face it, most people just run the car over to a rolling road and pay someone to sort it out, which is far easier and quicker!

Guest David Thomas

Once I am driving I would love to take you up on the offer of a ride out.

It's quite interesting to see the differing points of view as to carbs/fuel injection..

I understand about the low compression pistons that will be needed, am I right in thinking they are from a tranny pinto engine?

For me the un reliability of carbs is my only concern, body styling wise you have hit the nail on its head with your own personal touches.

Which ever I decide I want a bike digidash set up with digital gauges for oil and battery. I was thinking maybe some nice leather porsche racing seats which have heaters on.

As said before I am undecided but everyone's voice is being heard. My vision is to have a turbo on anything I have really.

Guest David Thomas

I used a pinto 2 ltr efi in my 2b gives enough umph for most things , 205 blocks are very strong

peter2b

Are you running carbs or furl injection?

Guest chris brown

Before thinking of changing the engine first get the car set up properly, longer dummy struts,set the KPI correctly etc, also fit a LSD one of the best improvements IMHO. Also think what you want the car for if track with some road use then a high tune hence high stress engine would be the choice but if you want a road car for touring with just the odd track day then a lower tune more reliable engine should be the choice

Guest ickle

Yep I fitted a lsd this year and must say massive improvement over last year now thinking the 20xe is enough power just love the drive in it now.

Regards stuart.

Guest chris brown

Yes the standard XR4*4 one 3.6 to 1 yes it does make it push on a bit but you very soon get used to it and the advantages over a standard diff are well worth it and setting the front end up overcomes the problem.

Guest David Thomas

Would I be right in thinking that if I get an xr4 the diff and breaking would be better? Would that be a better idea? There are a few going cheap round my area.

I don't want a hardened track car at all a sports tourer. And then possibly a few track days. I had a track car for every day use and it was terrible. I remember flying down a hill with a bit of a hidden dip and ended up on the other side of the road, also flying down the motor way and t

all the wing trim flew off smashing my wing mirror. Every bump was like having a sledge hammer in your spine. But it was a dream on the track.

Guest David Thomas

Would I be right in thinking that if I get an xr4 the diff and breaking would be better? Would that be a better idea? There are a few going cheap round my area.

I don't want a hardened track car at all a sports tourer. And then possibly a few track days. I had a track car for every day use and it was terrible. I remember flying down a hill with a bit of a hidden dip and ended up on the other side of the road, also flying down the motor way and t

all the wing trim flew off smashing my wing mirror. Every bump was like having a sledge hammer in your spine. But it was a dream on the track.

David if you are buying a part built car, you won't need a donor car.

If you are buying a new kit (which won't be a Robin Hood as they no longer exist, GBS is the current form and IMO there are better options for the money) then you will be better off was a Mazda mx5 as a donor.