Why A Robin Hood?

Guest David Thomas

Guest David Thomas

Yeah I have read about the new ones, isn't it something like uk kit cars who have taken over robin hood?

Am not having a Mazda sorry to say I had an mx5 for 22 days and knocked a telephone pole and crashed into a lampost. So that's a no aswell as green cars!! am off for old school power.

Plus there are pleanty of rwd jap cars around that I could buy with no roof without having a kit car. Just seems a bit pointless.

Ford old school power is the way forwards

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest david_l_perry

Hi David. I started with exactly the same thoughts as you last year.

I posted on here about wanting to see one in the flesh and the NW area sec, Mitch, called me who took me for a spin in his Pinto powered 2B. No turbo, bike carbs and bored out to 2.1.

I have had bikes when younger, but tended to kill myself on a regular bass...

The first drive out had me grinning ear to ear, it was bloody fantastic. To say Mitch and others on this forum have been open and helpful is an understatement, great set of guys. Long story short, I bought Mitch's 2B and have loved and am loving doing lots of little tinkering jobs that it needed.

I am not remotely bothered about a track day car or hill climbing, I just like getting out driving the hood. For me the hood fits this perfectly, yes it's a slightly heavier car than a Westfield, but its cheap fun motoring and still weighs feck all next to a tintop

I love the sound of the pinto, bike carbs and big exhaust, and its plenty of power to have fun on the roads.

There are lots out there that may look a little tired, but all depends on your pocket and what you want to do.

Buying one that has been previously on the road does make a lot of sense to avoid the hassle and significant cost of the IVA, but then if building a kit from scratch is what appeals then you could still buy a completed 2B and strip the whole thing down.

For me the test drive out with Mitch was the clincher, I then just had to sell my kidney to raise some cash for the sale.

Bloody love my hood, drive it most weeks, and with the wet weather gear, I am not too bothered if its raining, still good fun. My kids LOVE it.

It's cheap fun motoring as well. Full comp insurance is about £120 for me and the Mrs. (I am 41) and its on limited mileage, but not likely to go over the mileage.

Yes, it's my mid life crisis toy, happy with that.

Get yourself over to a local meet or out with a member for a spin.

It's possible I may look at changing to a zetec down the line, but I think I would need the pinto to be terminal before I really looked at doing that as it gives masses of fun for me so far.

I know bugger all about cars, and am loving learning how things work on the hood. It's old school engineering, so easy and simple hands on work.

Best of luck

Dave

Guest Ian Maycock

Slightly off topic but I couldn't resist asking Dave how he managed to kill himself on a regular basis? I am keen to know the secret of immortality.

Guest chris brown

David, I think you are missing the point about the MX5. The thing is that there are now several kits available that use the MX5 including GBS as the donor making for a lighter car and very easy to tune for more power. BTW if you managed to spin the MX5 and didn't like it then you wont like a hood as they are very similar in handling only the MX5 is a little quicker (for the same power) due to the more streamlined shape.

Guest David Thomas

Thanks Dave, that's some great advice and a great insight into ownership, I am exactly like you in regards to not being mechanically minded but wanting to learn through ownership. I think I will buy a finished car and strip it to make it my own, a few weekends work won't be too bad.

Chris the masda was a *bleep*ty driving rwd car it was such a nervous handling car and it just decided to try and kill me but it only killed itself. It was an earlie morning and it had just had a fresh skimming of rain, went round a corner and it went mad. Now am not a novice where drifting is concerned ( that's why I bought the car ) but stone me it went mental, wouldn't respond to any controls or anything, i went downt the road about 300 yards and slammed into the telegraph post a stone wall and then a lamppost it was not a good experience so that's when I decided no more jap cars, previous to this I had a 200sx for drifting but sold that when I had some money troubles and went to the masda, as I said I have previous experience with rwd but I can't trust a masda, personal preference.

Dave you sound like you were in exactly the same place I am now, I just need to find the right car.

Guest David Thomas

On another note will the new plastic body panels fit over the stainless? I don't really like the stainless and plastic/fibreglass is lighter and easier to work with, possibly only after a bonnet.

Guest MarkB

i went downt the road about 300 yards and slammed into the telegraph post a stone wall and then a lamppost

Although i have to had assess plenty of collisions Im no crash expert, but, 300yards... I would say the car wasn't a problem, speed obviously was.

On another note will the new plastic body panels fit over the stainless? I don't really like the stainless and plastic/fibreglass is lighter and easier to work with, possibly only after a bonnet.

Hi Dave

Check out the roadrunner Sr2. MX5 based but will easily accomodate a Pinto or 5.7l V8 :diablo:

Body is GRP and IMHO one of the best looking 7'S about. Similar if not cheaper than GBS zero. Mine weighs in at 526kg for a fully floored/ carpeted road cruiser (minus me :rofl: )

You will struggle to find a better handling kit than this.... 8)

Guest chris brown

then why on earth are you looking at a hood 2B? The whole idea of the hood is it gets away from plastic as much as possible.