Starter Motor Screwed (?) - Anyone Know The Model Number Please?

Guest boggie

Guest boggie

Hi All,

It's been a while since I ran the Exmo. Due to family, work and other commitments it has been nearly two years.... :-(

However, I am determined to get back on the road this summer so have begun preparing the car. I completed a full service, charged up the battery, primed the Webers with fuel and hit the starter. Nothing apart from a solenoid click so I stuck the main beam on and tried again to see if I lost the lights whilst trying to start which would point to the battery being knackered. The lights remained bright so the battery was holding charge so I tried a few more times. After a few more clicks the starter began turning but very slowly and with an unhappy grinding sound. The engine turns freely by rocking the car in gear so I am assuming the starter is the issue. The car has been dry stored and the starter was fine 2 years ago but I can't think what else it could be.

So, I have been trying to find a replacement tonight but can't find one for the early (1986) Sierra 2.0 pinto. Does anyone have a part number or better still a supplier with stock. OR could it be that the starter just needs taking off, freeing-up with WD40 and a good helping of grease to stop it happening again?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks,

B

Funny you are mentioning this. I have exactly the same problem.

Exmo nog started of run for a couple of years and funny clicking noise slow to turn and a good battery. I've checked and added earths to chassis and started motor. I was thinking of replacing the motor too. The part number is on the starter motor but I haven't yet got round to removing it for s closer inspection.

Anyone got any good advice. ?

Guest boggie

That is what I am hoping. I had a similar experience about 10 years back due to the starter coming away slightly from the bell housing. I don't think that is the issue this time as I refitted it with new stainless bolts, loctited in. I need to investigate further but if I remember correctly it is a real pain to get to the starter on my Exmo as I am running twin Weber DCOE 45s which i have to remove to get at it. I think it might be a good plan to fit a new one whilst they are off.

Anyone able to help me find the part number or a suppier for a 1986 2.0 Sierra starter please?

Thanks.

Guest clive5550

I had the same problem with mine ! No one knew what model it was off "It's off what a kit car" you've heard the quote in the end I went and saw my local auto electrics man and they tested it, put a new solenoid in it, all overnight, got it back next day all for £46 bargain !

freeing-up with WD40 and a good helping of grease to stop it happening again?

Don't grease it.....

Clean the throw out thread with cleaner/solvent, (not WD40) but leave it dry.

Grease will accumulate all sorts of crud & stop it engaging.

HTH Bob

Guest boggie

Good point well made Bob. I will check connections are clean first. If this is not the issue I'll remove the carbs and the starter before cleaning it with carb cleaner (assuming it is not screwed)

B

Hi boggie. I've checked my pinto and I have a lucas 5M90 starter. No idea if yours is the same though. I have an 86 exmo but can't guarantee the age of the engine.

If the Dino is yours I'm very jealous. It's my ultimate all time fave.

Dave

Guest boggie

Hi Dave,

Not sure until tomorrow. There is a Lloyds motor factor near me with a very helpful chap I have used for years. I took the starter in and he confirmed that the number stamped on the body was wrong as it was a Lucas model for the six cylinder triumph engine. It must have happened to be a body that fit a number of noses but the bottom line is that the number did not help. So, we spent about an hour going through the drawings and measuring them against mine and 'think' we found the right model. It comes in tomorrow and I attempt to put it tomorrow evening.....

Wish me luck. If it fits I will post part numbers and cross refs.

Cheers,

B

PS The Dino has gone. It needed the gearbox rebuilding but the cost was astronomical.... Now replaced with a slightly more sensible German turbo boxer...

Edited by boggie

Guest boggie

One other thought : I had decided the starter must be screwed as I had charged the battery overnight. When it did not turn the motor over cleaned all the connections between the battery and starter, engine ground etc and got the same result. I tried again with the lights on and the lights did not dim much so made the assumption that the battery was good as if the battery was bad the lights should have gone out as the starter consumed what little power it held.

Was this a good assumption? I ask because when I tested the starter off the car in a vice with a direct battery connection it span up ok. However, it did not seem to have much 'guts'....

B

If the battery is bad then dim to no lights is the result. So your battery is good.

It takes very little current to spin the starter on its own so spining in a vice is not much of a test.

The starter should take a lot of current when starting so the energy has to go somewhere.

Most probable is the contacts on the pull in solonoid having got coroded. If this is the case the solonoid will get hot when trying to start the engine.

The other posibility is sticking brushes in which case the back of the starter (away from the pinion) will get hot.

Either way a local auto electrician should be able to rebuild without costing the earth.