Cologne V6 Runiing Very Rich

Chrisruck

Hi all. I have a ford 2.9 cologne engine in my rh2b (No IVA). I took it for an emissions test yesterday and it read 12 on the testers gauge. No matter what he did to the maf mixture screws the reading did not alter. It was the same reading on both sides (v6). It is running very rich and blows out black smoke when revved (You can also smell it's rich). It's not done this before only recently. Any ideas are welcome.post-4470-0-02755900-1373446673_thumb.jpg

If it's been stood a while and not been run much (which from your other posts I suspect it has), then you could be looking at a sticky vane inside one of the airflow meters. Both airflow meters go into a single plenum but I don't know if it's divided internally so each afm feeds one bank. If it is and it's rich on both banks, then 2 knackered afm's seems unlikely so maybe consider replacing the coolant temp sensor.

Apart from the rich mixture, how does it run when it's warm? Does it idle ok and rev up smoothly?

Just tested water temp sensor and its fine. Took fuel pressure reg vac pipe off and it made little difference. Co2 came down to 11 then back up to 12 again. Also getting hard to start it up

Guest zerorace

if it is the later ecu and not been on a good run the ecu's have a short term memory and need to relearn

what is it like when hot (does it get hot) sounds like charge robbing

After a quick chat with richyb66 I'm going to try changing the fuel,pressure regulator and see what happens. Then hopefully my fault code reader will show up and tell me something new! Lucky for me I have another engine to rob parts off

Ok so unless my other fpl is bad then it's not that. Out of interest how much fuel should the fuel rail hold? Also got fault code reader and no faults at all! I'm officially stumped.