My new caravan...

Shaft

(I've just moved this thread into Chit Chat now its no longer a wanted Ad so the banter can continue...)

Hi all,

SWMBO has given me permission to get a caravan so I can join the others in creature comforts whilst at all the shows etc... :)

So, has anybody got or know somebody who is selling one?

My ideal would be a 4 berth with a rear bathroom but a luxury 2 berth would suffice of the right layout.

Only been allowed 1000 golden nuggets so I appreciate this reduces the market somewhat.

Cash waiting. :)

Be careful for that money...a scrap van is nearly worth that for parts alone. Main issue to look out for is damp (soft wallboards, musty smell inside, soft, delaminated floor - poke around in all corners and windows and look underneath where floor mounts to chassis) and also condition of running gear...advised to change tyres every 5 years max 7 years (look for date mark on them).

Anything half decent seems to be at least £2-2.5k now, especially at this time of year.

2 years ago we put our old 1991 4 berth with a bit of damp and quite rough on ebay with an honest description and no reserve. Went for £2.8k and they were delighted with it!

However some friends of ours bought a £1.5k 5 berth from Glossop Caravans last year (a very old trade in). Its pretty rough but does the job and at least you know its roadworthy buying from trade. May be worth giving them a call.

If your budget could be made higher my mate is just about to sell his late Dad's caravan, a late 90's 4 berth been well looked after but stood for 18 months, was serviced just before he passed away and no issues. Problem is its been valued at £2.5-£3k.......

For your budget you may be better off looking for a folding camper or van, bit more luxury than a tent and less liability than a van!

Good luck.

Be careful for that money...a scrap van is nearly worth that for parts alone. Main issue to look out for is damp (soft wallboards, musty smell inside, soft, delaminated floor - poke around in all corners and windows and look underneath where floor mounts to chassis) and also condition of running gear...advised to change tyres every 5 years max 7 years (look for date mark on them).

Anything half decent seems to be at least £2-2.5k now, especially at this time of year.

2 years ago we put our old 1991 4 berth with a bit of damp and quite rough on ebay with an honest description and no reserve. Went for £2.8k and they were delighted with it!

However some friends of ours bought a £1.5k 5 berth from Glossop Caravans last year (a very old trade in). Its pretty rough but does the job and at least you know its roadworthy buying from trade. May be worth giving them a call.

If your budget could be made higher my mate is just about to sell his late Dad's caravan, a late 90's 4 berth been well looked after but stood for 18 months, was serviced just before he passed away and no issues. Problem is its been valued at £2.5-£3k.......

For your budget you may be better off looking for a folding camper or van, bit more luxury than a tent and less liability than a van!

Good luck.

Cheers for that, fore warned is fore armed. :drinks:

Budget set by SWMBO / Treasurer / Boss I'm afraid.

Something will turn up and it could always become a winter project.