Steering Judder

Guest Alex2bTurner

Guest Alex2bTurner

so i have been out in the hood today and i was getting rather bad steering judder through long high speed corners i have looked at the suspension but can't see anything obvious does any body have any idea what it could be.

Thanks Alex

Guest Alex2bTurner

just had a look at track rod ends and they seem to be fine no play in them and there is no play in the steering it happens just at the right angle and speed, could the tracking be out?

Guest Alex2bTurner

had a look to see if any weights had fallen off the wheels and all still there also had it up on ramp so my mate who is a mechanic could have a look at it and he couldn't find anything either, only thing i think it could be now is the tyres maybe putting new ones on in the next month or so, so will see if that changes anything

My sliding pillar failed its first MOT as when the tester wobbled the wheels on the ramps with his shufty pushy machine thing there was a lot of play.

I took the car home and tightened up 2 bolts..1 on each side underneath each pillar (18 or 19mm I think). Which cured it.

I must point out that i couldnt get the wheels to move manually and only got the bolts nipped up 1/2 a turn but it was enough.

Back to the present, and not quite the same problem... I just had my tyres re balanced after wheel wobble at 60-70. Its been slowly getting worse over the years and now its dangerous.

The balancing didnt work at all... So I span the wheels just a few mm off the ground and there is a definite bump/mis-shape on one wheel and a slight bald spot so I am hoping this is the problem and have just ordered 2 new front tyres that will be fitted on Saturday.

I think a possible cause would have been when the car was off the road for months and the tyres were a bit on the flat side.. Anyways.. Saturday will tell.

Andi

does remind me of years ago when i had a strange wobble on the rear end (of the car!) and eventually ran my hand around the tyre and it had delaminated and there was a large bulge in it.

If you are cornering it may be the edge has a problem that you dont notice in a straight line.

I had a problem with a Honda civic.

The wheels balanced perfectly, but I had enormous judder.

Then I span the wheel...the rim was steady but the tyre wasnt.

It turned out that the bead hadnt seated properly in one position.

thank you will see if i can tighten the nuts and if you could let me know how the new tyres go that would be great

New tyres worked a treat. its like driving a new car. Guess I didnt realise just how bad it was getting over time.

I need to go back to do the tracking, they couldnt do it with the front wings on so i`ll unbolt them for next week.

Andi