Alternator & Bright 6 Led Cluster

Guest aidankinnell

Guest aidankinnell

Got a slight issue with my alternator light on the Bright 6 LED cluster on my zero, using the v1.2 loom (I think!)

When the ignition is switched to on, but not running, the lights isn't on; when the engine is running I have a light on.

The GBS loom instructions say I should join pin 1 (12v live) to pin 3 (to warning light) with a 68ohm resistor but I'm not sure what wattage/spec to use, any ideas? Experience?

Does this seem like it might fix my light issue and get it working the correct way round?

Thanks

Guest aidankinnell

I thought it had the resistor built in, will check to wire colours tomorrow.

Will also check I have the ground and live correct. All other warning lights work ok which I guess is a positive.

The GBS loom instructions say I should join pin 1 (12v live) to pin 3 (to warning light) with a 68ohm resistor but I'm not sure what wattage/spec to use, any ideas? Experience?

You appear to be following the instructions for the GBS/Smiths Flight gauges (there are two versions of the Flight).

Follow the instructions for the ETB connections to the warning lights. Your 'Bright 6' leds appear the same as the '6T' vesion that GBS supply.

No resistor required.

Guest aidankinnell

Update.....

Checked the wiring into the led cluster, all ok. Turns out I had wired it per the cluster instructions which matched the etb instructions mentioned above. Live and Grd correct.

Checked wiring at engine plug, pin 11 (alternator light) goes to the warning light pin on the alternator. I have the engine plug live going to the coil and the live pin of the alternator. All seems correct.

Not sure if I should have anything plugged into the battery sense pin on the alternator?

I'm sure the alternator is charging, haven't manually charged the battery since March and I keep starting the engine, playing with the electrics etc. The engine starts on about the 2nd turn every time so there seems to be enough power to spark.

So, it maybe leaves me to think that the plug at the back of the alternator is bust. Could this be possible and the alternator still charge as it should?

In a nutshell, my dash is on my seat, wiring all separated out and bits of tape all over the place and still have a light that works in reverse!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aidankinnell

I took some photos round the alternator today, found some more details on the alternator plug, turns out I have P/IG/L.

IG - switched live

L - warning light

P - help??

The web has told me that it could be a phase connection, what's one of these?

Could it be the same as a battery sense, ie a perm live from the battery?

Haven't connected anything up yet as I've had plenty of other simple jobs to complete.