Zetec Conversion

tractor

hi all I want to run the zetec on bike carbs and a megasquirt I have been trying to find some carbs with throttle sensor on there a bit hard to find have been offered some zx10 throttle bodies but don't now if they would work do I need a throttle sensor to run a megasquirt because I have a set of zx6 carbs but they don't have a throttle sensor

A throttle pot is just a 90 degree variable resistance driven off a rotating shaft. Pretty well any shaft can be modified to drive one. The shaft may need extending, it's end shaping and a mount making for the pot but not hard. Do the ZX6 carbs have a stick-out end about 7mm proud that could drive a pot or could you modify them like so.

Nigel

Guest zoomzoom

You will need a throttle pot if your mega squirt is set up for it, some use a map sensor I take it you are only going to use the ignition mapping part of mega squirt instead of using a megajolt

As Nigel said you could modify the carbs to fit a sensor or fit it at the throttle pedal end but this is not ideal

Guest alfaGTA

you will want a megajolt instead then for the sparks? you can get it set up as throttle position sensor or as manifold air pressure but need to decide what route you want to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FASTdan

For future reference (You've ordered from me now anyway, but for others) a few carbs that I know of with TPS:

CBR600 (later models, 37mm, with 75mm spacings)

CBR900 (38mm, all)

ZX6R (later Mikuni type, 37mm, 75mm spacings)

ZX9R (later models, 78-87-78mm, with 78-87-78 spacings)

R1 (all, 40mm, 77-79-83mm spacings)

R6 (all, 37mm, 72mm spacings)

GSXR600 SRAD (all, 37mm, 80mm spacings)

I am currently working on a design for a retro-fit TPS kit for non-TPS equiped Keihin carbs (so early ZX6R, ZX7R, ZZR600, YZF600 etc). I am looking to use the standard TPS from the Ford focus and a shaft extension. I hope to have this available in the next couple of months.