5 Day Scottish Road Trip 19th April 2014

Guest alfaGTA

My car and I have never done these kind of distances before and the car has had some changes over winter so has not been driven since November. I want to use the trip up to aclimatise myself and for the car to prove itself.

To be confident and build confidence I think I need to be on good well serviced A roads and have the support of the convoy.

I don't like motorways in the zero (A1M being a necessary evil) so Dan's route gets my vote.

I would like to do Northumberland as I too have spend alot of time there on family holidays and diving trips to the farne islands. I will do it one day and maybe at the end of this trip.

Ozz

Re: the suggested Northumberland diversion - good points made about getting to Scotland, in daylight, still able to stand up, gaining confidence etc. It is after all supposed to be enjoyable.

The one good thing about roads, even squiggly ones, is they tend to still be there for some time to come :-)

If I had to vote on the route up to Falkirk I would vote for the A1/A697 road. I think the reality is that which ever main route is taken up to Scotland its going to take a similar amount of time - Google says there is only 30 minutes between the routes.

"If I had to vote on the route up to Falkirk I would vote for the A1/A697 road. I think the reality is that which ever main route is taken up to Scotland its going to take a similar amount of time - Google says there is only 30 minutes between the routes."

the route that is stated above is the best route it give the best of both worlds.Fast A roads, with some motorway it also quite quick it is the route that we Scottish lads always took when heading to Newark. with plenty of petrol stations along the way.and you will make good time, When we head the opposite direction we usually leave about 8am and get to Newark late afternoon after about 2 or 3 stops for petrol and food

Guest Ian & Carole

Re tow rope ...l. Sounds good, I do hope it doesn't come to that :)

In 2010 a 2b was towed from Rouen to Le mans, around 5 hours before it came back on a transporter some days later to the UK.

Guest alfaGTA

In 2010 a 2b was towed from Rouen to Le mans, around 5 hours before it came back on a transporter some days later to the UK.

I'm going to fit those TRS tow straps front and rear just as a general aid but also they'll make the car look more track weapon innit

I don't have jump leads. I have the phone number of a man that does.

I tend to carry the following 'standard' kit.

• 5ltrs petrol
  • 2ltrs coolant topup
  • Basic toolkit
  • Electric tyre pump and gunge bottle
  • Tow/lifting strap
  • Spare bulbs

If I cant sort it with that - it's a phone call to the man in the yellow van.

Ian

Guest peter2b2002

i keep a length of hose in the boot , bulbs, tow rope, wire Tyre pump 5ltr petrol ,oil stove, kettle , umbrella + a few basic tools+AA card and phone charger leads

peter2b

i keep a length of hose in the boot , bulbs, tow rope, wire Tyre pump 5ltr petrol ,oil stove, kettle , umbrella + a few basic tools+AA card and phone charger leads

peter2b

I think you have forgotten something!!! Ah the kitchen sink lol

• 2 weeks later...