Coilovers

Guest Boost

Looking at 2B conversion Anyone know the spec of the front coilovers?

Length extended & compressed, between centres, spring poundage, bolt hole size & length?

Anyone selling some or best place to buy?

Hi guys new to this. Had a 2b plus for about 18 months. Ain't had time to do a lot to it just running repairs. I am looking to replace front coilovers and swap std seirra rear suspension for coilovers. Just after opions on spring poundage. Pinto engined so would guess fairly heavy on fronts??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, after some advice. Have a 2 b plus with std rear suspension, burton do a gaz coilover rear sierra shock a very reasonable cost on their web site. They don't come with springs what poundage springs would you guys recommend? And am I able to just fit these and remove the std coil? Am new to the kit car world. Thanks in advance.

Hi all, after some advice. Have a 2 b plus with std rear suspension, burton do a gaz coilover rear sierra shock a very reasonable cost on their web site. They don't come with springs what poundage springs would you guys recommend? And am I able to just fit these and remove the std coil? Am new to the kit car world. Thanks in advance.

if going gaz route dave at dampertech would be a better bet.

Hey,

Is there a reason people don't want to give actual specs? I've asked this myself and looked at numerous threads and everytime people say speak to damper tech. Which is fine but I'm not sure i want to buy gaz shocks and I'd like to know what the actual specs are.

The closest I've got without anyone confirming is

Front 350lb springs 13inch open 9inch closed

Rear 350lbs springs 14inch open 10inch closed

But I still don't know for sure if this is correct as I haven't had anyone confirm this, just what I've picked up from threads.

Personally I didn't actually find dave at damper tech that useful as he just gave me a price with no info on what I was actually getting. polite enough but I'm not paying £400 without knowing what I am handing my money over for.

Hopefully someone can confirm if the above specs are correct.

Hth

Hath

Hi Hath,

we're not being difficult...every Hood is different, all built my amateurs, some good engineers, some just plain enthusisatic.

There are various chassis, many lumped under the name 2B.

The upper rear suspension mounting point is on a tube that slides into the bottom of the roll bar, and is then bolted in.

There is no set length for the tube, hence no set length for the shocker.

The brackets that hold the bottom of the coilover are all unique...they can vary in height.

There a various 2B wishbones, some use brackets welded to the chassis tubes, the RHE one uses two U shaped channels across the car.

These all give different track widths, different distances between wishbones, and need different length shocks.

There is no fixed location for the bracket that holds the bottom of the front shocker.

The nearer it is to the chassis, the harder spring you need.

Spring poundage is totally personal, My car is set up with soft springs with hard dampers.

My setup has 350lb front springs, 14" open, 10" closed .

At the rear I have 180lb springs, 15" open 10" closed..

These may or may not suit your car.

my wishbone setup came from a company that no longer exists & is a unique design.

You need to measure you own car carefully to come up with a start point.

Set it at the correct ride height, measure between the brackets the coilover will fit into & take that length

as the midpoint of the coilover. EG if it as 12" you need a coilover approx. 14 open, 10 closed

The reason GAZ are recommended is that Dave is happy to swap parts (within reason!) until you get something that fits.

The reason he can give you an accurate price is that virtually all coilovers & springs are the same price regardless of length.

Most companies will exchange springs so long as they are not marked.

• Like 1

Guest chris brown

As Bob says all hoods are different and that goes for rear suspension as well IIRC mine were 18in open 12in closed but my upper mounts were higher than most ( comes of following tape 1 before watching tape 4 ) so measure what you require then get the correct length for your car, remember it also depends on the length on the u brackets which you will have to make.

Guest mower man

Soft springs firm dampers is the classic way to go , Race cars with lots of aero are an exception but are not relative . Spring rate differ wildly when the damper is mounted at an angle the further away from vertical you go the working rate reduces . As to cost if you want blingy alloy bodies and 2/3 way damping start looking at 8/9 hundred quid each I think gaz eqpt is ample fo the road and reasonably priced but others may not [ no connection other than a satisfied customer ] mower man :crazy: