Grease Gun

alanrichey

I think this comes under the heading of "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask", so here goes.

I just bought a cheap grease gun of Fleabay

gun.jpg

And I can't see how to refill it. The seller has no idea, and told me his supplier said to just unscrew the base and fill it. But when I unscrew the base I see this:

gun2.jpg

Am I supposed to remove/unscrew the metal bit ? I don't want to risk it if I am going to break something. Or do I try and force the grease in the middle past the spring ?

Al

Guest mower man

A long time since I filled one of those , the nozzle acts as pump,pull it out and the bit you are showung will go up the bore ,fill with grease ,pallet knife is handy screw cap back on and away you go mowerman

A long time since I filled one of those , the nozzle acts as pump,pull it out and the bit you are showung will go up the bore ,fill with grease ,pallet knife is handy screw cap back on and away you go mowerman

Afraid the nozzle is already at full extension, it will only go in not out.

I don't think so. The supplier definitely said you fill through the bottom. Not had any further reply from the seller. And I thought this was going to be a dumb question with an easy answer.......... :)

I think I see now.

Looks like the grease goes around the side of the spring. Does the plate push down around the spring?

Also, does the nozzle push in and out (you may need some force to push it in)

Looks like a "push type grease gun" according to google ...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=low+pressure+grease+gun+howto&oq=low+pressure+grease+gun+howto&aqs=chrome.0.69i57j69i62.8078j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=push+type+grease+gun

Simon.

As mower man say's, if you hold the nozzel in a vice if it is tight to pull out by hand and fill as you pull out the plunger.

Or you can put the body into a grease cartridge and suck the grease into the body as you pull out the plunger.

Hope this helps.

maca

Bingo. It was the magic word 'vice' that solved it. Once gripped the whole mechanism slid nicely to the front. Many thanks to both.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to access the greae nipple at the front end of my propshaft.

Guest Ian & Carole

Now all I need to do is figure out how to access the greae nipple at the front end of my propshaft.

1 mm cutting disc in an angry grinder to make an inspection hole or if you are posh a hole saw.

Realistically you want a hole around 3 - 4" diameter to make your life easier.

Access is great from the tunnel top Al, but you may have to remove the gear lever cover first as I said in an earlier post.

As Ian suggests, a hole from the underside will be just as good, even better.

There are a couple of 'designed' small opening in the Superspec floorpan for just this reason, but in true RH style they don't quite align with your nipples :wacko: :wacko:

Yes I had a look through the tunnel top with all the covers removed to see if I could see it but chickened out when it wasn't obvious and it looked like I may have to actually dismantle the gear change mechanism to get a better access. Have to decide which method is easier.

While I was rotating the prop shaft I was a bit surprised to see the flange between the CV joint and the gearbox only had 3 bolts in although there appear to be 6 holes ? The previous owner said it was like that when he picked it up from GBS so assumed ti was correct ?