Help...moving Handbrake

After repositioning the handbrake on top of the centre console behind the gear stick I then went about moving the cable above the rear axle and found that it seems a little short...?

Take into consideration I have no welding gear and have searched on the forums and noticed a lot of comments about buying a new cable and then shortening it.

Seems a shame that the cable don't fit and is delaying any other work I can do. Please can anybody give me any advise on what cable, size and do I really need to shorten it with welding gear?

I already have a good (but short cable) and really, really need some advice before I throw my hands up in the air again, with another delay.

TIA Dino :(

Guest Ian & Carole

Most 2b's had the hand brake cable shortened when the lever was fitted in the foot well as per the std. build.

You might find that a standard cable might be long enough to fit were you want it.

Are you able to use a length of rod from the base of your lever to were the horse shoe holds the cable ?

Thanks I & C, I was beginning to panic and thought the 2b was rebelling against me.

Everything seems to be a huge domino effect and I haven't had chance to put down the last domino yet :)

If the donor was a sierra, then I assume, I just go out and get another standard sierra cable and drums as required and fingers crossed fit them.

Nicko,

I would like to get a cable in time for me to fit it this weekend, but if all else fails and I cannot source one locally tomorrow then I will be the first to shout your way for it.

Meantime, I will measure mine (as a comparison) as I does't look like it has been tampered with, But it is definitely too small.

Confused.....how did you get the u clamps to fit?

R they mini u clamps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=u+clamps&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xwire+rope+u+clamps&_nkw=wire+rope+u+clamps&_sacat=0

and fitted at the back of the shoes without any issues?

never assume I have a 2b sierra based and the track rod ends are mk1 transit my seats are Vauxhall cavalier so when they say it is sierra based it could be as little as engine and gearbox

Cheers Tractor....I just had to re insert the butt plug again and mask the funny smell wafting passed my nose with air freshener.

Fingers crossed it's a sierra, perhaps photographic evidence is needed.

.....For the h/brake and rear axle.

....not the butt plug. :)

Guest chris brown

Yes them are the clamps use a standard Sierra cable. Cut it in two so both cut ends go round the quadrant in opposite directions and use the clamps to fix the two together I used 2 clamps on each side. The build instructions were to cut off one nipple and fit another at the correct ( shorter) length. Lots of us found we pulled the new nipple off (due to not having braseing kit) the first time the hand brake was pulled on hard.

Dino, I cut the cable in half, then overlapped the 2 ends and clamped. This meant all original fittings at hub end.

I might be able to crawl under car for a piccie, but as I'm in the middle of a few mods I can't really move it around.

Nick

( note to self......Must type quicker)

Also try & fit the angle iron as near the cabin as possible.

Mine is bolted where the chassis tubes come together, right behind the seat back panel.

I also used the overlapped inner cable & mini U clamps bodge engineering solution....

The mini U clamps are also available at B&Q - probably not as cheap as Ebay but at least you can see what you're getting before you buy.

I shortened my inner cable by cutting the nipple off the end and crimping and welding a new one on the end. It looks neater but it's a bit more hit and miss determining the cable length compare to using 2 U clamps around the quadrant.

Thanks guys for the info, I will be ordering a new cable and attempting the cutting and u clamp trick.

While the brakes are off and looking a little worn out, can anybody recommend any brake shoes or should I just buy a set of bog standard Ford Sierra 2.0 ones?

I been looking on E bay and they seem to vary in price from £15 - a staggering £120.