Shank Length On A High Tensile Bolt

agent_zed

Hi,

prob a really simple question but i need to buy some high tensile bolts for my shocks but i am not sure how long the shank is on the HT bolts. eg http://www.screwfix.com/p/bzp-ht-hex-bolts-m10x-50-pack-of-50/86820#

Is a 50mm bolt refering to the 50mm of smooth shank or overall length? is there someway of finding out? is there a standard ratio or something?

thanks

The 50mm is from under the head to the end of the bolt.

As a basic rule of thumb, commercial spec bolts have a threaded portion equal to 75% of its length.

Edited by Shaft

I would suggest that you go to a local bolt supplier and ask what bolt lengths they have and pick your bolt length with the plan shank you require even if it means cutting some of the thread off for the final length.

Guest mower man

As said above best route is a fastener supplier , awhile ago I wanted some 14mm allen cap bolts with a very long shank after a bit of searching my supplier found me some14inch long 14mm dia unthreaded cap head bolts which i cut to length and cut threads to length myself , abit extreme but did the job admirably[top wish bone pivots] . mower man :crazy: :clapping:

thanks for the replies, useful info as always.

will have a look and see who are local and likely to have bolts. They are definitely 10mm as i got the chap to fit 10mm bushes to the shocks as far easier than having imperial on some bits and not on others. God knows what was on my old zimmers as they seem to be about 9.5mm so not sure if that is an imperial size.

thanks