Iva Fail

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Failed today at Gillingham but not on what I expected. Within 5 mins of looking at the car Lawrence and Andy said they expected to be issuing a certificate and it was the best build they had seen and better than some Caterhams from the factory.

Sailed through Emissions, Brakes, Weights, Noise 94db standard GBS can, headlights, seat belts. All went wrong with lights, I have Caterham R500 rear lights and the bulbs are rubbish, not very red and too weak. (Caterham don't fit R500 bits but use normal ones I found out). My R500 inspired push button indicators can both be used at the same time (replace with toggle), and my push button Savage lights have issues, can turn dipped beam on without side lights (if you try). Also need to replace sticky cable tie pad bases with rivets or screw under rear luggage area due to the possibility of water ingress.

Also had issue with speedo sensor not picking up bolt heads over 30mph correctly, spoke to ETB and they say to point it at the heads and not the sides.

All in all a great day, brakes set up superb, steering superb on driving test, Lawrence really helpful and if you treat him with respect and don't tell him his job he will give you loads of wiggle room to fix stuff. We had the place to ourselves and backed the Land Rover right into the bay by car to get to tools, constant supply of coffee from Lawrence and Andy. They seemed dissapointed it did'nt pass.

I will post a heads up of what they look out for and things not to do later this week, restest booked for 28th May.

Cheers Spencer

post-3676-0-06916700-1400521203_thumb.jpg

post-3676-0-88138100-1400521222_thumb.jpg

Guest Spencer Griffiths

Thanks guys. ETB think the prop bolts are too small on the sidewalls and not 100% flat as they pass the sensor giving an arc effect as they pass. If I can sort okay like the idea of pointing it at the flat tops. I also have to fit some longer seat belt bolts into the sides as they don't go through the welded nuts, makes sense and I should have some longer ones. Lawrence was pretty strict and by the book but most of his strictness was on safety related stuff so makes sense and should give confidence when driving.

Still an impressive looking build and it won't take much to get it sorted.

As for the speedo sendor, I have mine pick up on the sides of the bolt heads but I did make sure that it was the 'flat' part of the bolt that went past the sensor and it not the corners. Mine was shocking at first until I made that change.

Gillingham has always been a pretty good test station.

They always seem to want to pass a car unless they absolutely have to fail it.

They get to see all (& fail many) of the factory Caterhams, so a well built RH/GBSC car is like a breath of fresh air for them... :)