Drive Shaft Gaiter Replacement

CAF

I have a S7 ( from a Sierra LX 1986) and it has a split gaiter, I have removed the complete drive shaft (drum breaking) after dismantling the whole breaking system, but cannot see how split the shaft, I assume it need some type of extractor? What seemed like a not to difficult job for an old boy is becoming a nightmare, the other one also needs changing! Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Yes, get the "stretchy boot" and cone.

Needs the cone WELL greased though and is best if you have someone to help steady while you put it on. A pig when on your own especially when your hands are slippery with grease and you have problems holding the boot ... :)

I cut the cone down to make it easier to do and don't forget to put them on INSIDE out for the outer ones as you turn them back when on the shaft.

Actually I mean the ones closer to the cone. I forgot that I put these on the drive shaft from the inside nearest the diff. Impossible to do the other way :)

Simon.

Edited by Simon B