S7 Or B2 - Which To Buy?

Guest salty_monk

Guest salty_monk

Thanks for all the offers guys. I will definitely join the club when I get around to looking at all the spiel on costs etc.

Life is pretty manic at the moment as my sister is getting married in a couple of weeks & work is busy but having a look at some cars in the near future would be good!

Bob - I guess you would be the one to talk to if I do get the sliding pillar car & want to updgrade...

The price is right so I'll keep you posted!

Whilst I'm on here - any advice on Insurance? (joining the club will affect that (for the better) too I guess but is there any recomended?)

In the middle of selling up in Bexley & moving to New Eltham at the mo... fingers crossed!

Dan

P.s. Beer! I like this club already! :D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

An interesting read... I have a quote from Sureterm for £289 ish from memory & one from Roadsure for £309.

Might just be cheaper if I take out the breakdown - (I have it through GEM, they're package is really good!) but I'm still looking....

Guest salty_monk

Ooops - I've done it now.... put down a deposit on the 2b :rolleyes:

Went to view last night & the car had loads more on it than I thought, does need a bit of TLC though to make it perfect though!

The boot box is made from ply & takes the available space down to about half what it could be & the side panels are pretty crap, similar to the ones shown on the link earlier in this thread.. also it'll need better seats in it at some stage....ho hum!

Now for the good bits.... The car has rarely been used since the build, (73 year old man owns it..) engine is reconditioned & has a new Webber off of a 3.0s Capri (twin choke) on it plus a piper cam so it's rather rapid... (although haven't had a high speed blast in it yet....)

All the front (sliding pillar) suspension, hubs, brake calipers disks etc are all brand new as is the alternator, distributor, piper air filter, & just about every other enigine ancillary. Rear axle is recon (big drums).

It's the mild steel chassis (could do with a lick of paint, some "very" slight surface rust with stainless & gel coat panels, it has the alligator bonnet (but doesn't seem to stay up... anyone know if there's meant to be a stay or something??)

To finish it off it has 5 brand new alloys & new tyres.

Anyway.... pick it up in a couple fo weeks so can't wait to show you guys, (find out what a bad deal I've got.. ) :D

Excellent. Sounds like you're going to have lots of fun doing it up and driving it at the same time.

Hopefully see you at the shows with it. Coming to Donnington in September?

Ant

Well done.

That seems like a good spec.

The 3 litre Capri carb is a DGAS...theyre the best all round carb you can fit to a Pinto.

Replacement stainless side panels (were) £75 each, but theyll be loadsa work to retrofit now.

The chassis is made of pretty thick wall tube, so surface rust is no problem, wire wool, wet & dry & antirust primer before touching up....find out what paint he used so you can get the same.

You have to make up a bonnet stay, either a fixed rod or a gas strut.

When you join the club you'll get a list of all the Kent members.

Welcome!!

Cheers, Bob.

Guest salty_monk

Anyone want to take a stab at how much power this engine will produce?

The Piper Cam is the 285 "Ultimate Road" which is apparently good for 22bhp on Pipers website...

Combine that with the DGAS (it's the 38) (thanks Bob - think I saw that stamped on it), piper air filter & the standard stainless pipe I reckon I must see 130bhp....

Don't know yet if it's had any head work or bore increase (V5 just says 2.0l) alothough it's recon (the donor is an '87) but it's supposed to be unleaded spec.....

Currently trying to get hold of the mechanic that built it - he's retired unfortunately..

Cheque & Form job will leave Bexley on Friday....

I had a very similar setup, DGAS, 4 br stainless exhaust, FR32 (also 285 degrees), and a big inlet valve head. That gave 128 bhp at the flywheel when Sanspeed at Bexleyheath set it up on their rolling road for me. Ive since fitted twin 40s instead & got 136bhp.

Dont worry, you'll have enough for some serious fun!!!

Bob.

Guest salty_monk

Thanks Bob - how do you rate Sanspeed? My mate used them a couple of times for his tuned up Punto GT Turbo & doesn't rate them at all...

If you don't mind me asking what's a ball park cost figure for a rolling road session there?

Does the owners club do any reduced rate group rolling road days?

Might have first refusal on a set of twin 48's... are they going to be overkill for this engine if I do decide I want a bit more in future??

Guest chris

I can confirm what Longboarder says.My set up is 2ltr block,stage 2 head,fr32 cam,

vernier and 38 dgas.Rolling roaded,116bhp at back wheels

regards chris

post-13-1088626851.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Dan

the side panels are pretty crap, similar to the ones shown on the link earlier in this thread

That will be our one :lol: :lol: But we did not keep it we spent our £75 on a new one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I must admit it would be a right faff to change a side panel on a fully built job, How about Paint? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the real world :D :D

Bill and Joey