The Wifes New Car

kevin the chicken

I went on a fire behaviour course for the fire service on saturday and by the time I got home Claire had sourced herself a car! Went to view it on sunday, taking a trailer just in case, a near 300 mile round trip and came home loaded up.

Its a Spartan based on a MK4 Cortina with a two litre pinto engine and it not only runs but it has mot and tax so thats a good start.

The trim leaves a lot to be desired but that should keep Claire amused, mechanically it seems ok but as usual the wiring looks to be quite a mess and there a few little things that need tinkering with, but thats half the fun of a kit car as long as it doesn't keep me from driving mine.

• Like 1

Guest mikejo

hi great car,my dad has just bought one but think it is a mk2.spitfire running gear with 1500 engine,as he is a member of the spartan club and i have the number of a local guy give me a message if you need any bits,thanks mike

Thanks for that Mike. Has your dads car got seatbelts in the back?. I know they can be fitted but haven't yet investigated how or where yet. We finally got it insured today and took it in turns to take it for a test drive and I must say it was even better than I expected. I thought the low profile tyres would make the ride harsh but not so, there were a few rattles and squeaks but not many and the engine was smooth at idle and pulled well. It has only got a cherry bomb on the exhaust and even that seems very efficient for what it is and sounds good too. It is crying out for a fith gear though.

Good spot that, Andy. I was wondering what they were off and now I have been able to order a spare rear lens to replace the one with the reflector missing.

We were supposed to going to Hollowell for a day out today but as we were out last Sunday picking this car up we decided we should stay at home today and catch up on the gardening. Now the plan is to make a start on re-trimming the interior of the Spartan and then take both cars out for a run!

• Like 1