Advise Please For Iva Can Anyone See Anything That Could Fail

Guest Jonnyround2003

Here's a few points I IM'd to Jon earlier, many are already covered above:

Looking at the pictures there are a few things you may need to change if the examiner is picky:

I put a rubber sleeve over the track rod ends to cover the exposed nuts, or heatshrink would work too.

Check the distance from the outer edge of the cycle wing to the front indicators, yours look like the standard RH ones like mine, but I had to extend mine out using brackets and Mini steering gaitors. Looking at the manual they need to be min 500mm apart and within 400mm of the outer edge.

Check you cannot get to the bolt on you exhaust clamp with their standard sphere, test with a tennis ball, you may be able to rotate it clockwise so it is pointing down and away from their checks. They look for any edge below 2.5mm radius. Maybe a nut cover on the rear exhaust mounting nut (cant see it on the newer photo).

I had to make some "Socks" to cover the exposed edges on the upper harness mounts as it was a failure on my first test, I just had the bolt covers like you. So I just folded over some plastic cover (spare dash material) to cover the bolts and upper mounts.

Check you don't have an edge on the fuel filler, I used a bit of thin pipe/ hose (about 5 or 6mm Dia) with a tie wrap inside it, tighten and trim the tie wrap then the rubber hose can be pulled over it, forms a nice edge around the cap.

Put a spirit level against the lens of the fog light to check its edge vertical to the ground.

A couple of other items I failed on first time: Make sure you fill up the tank well before the test, I filled mine up on the morning of the test and found a leak, its the first time you fill to the brim. Also ensure there is a vent on the tank as the standard filler cap is not vented. Air has to get in to replace the spent fuel other wise a vacuum will cause the engine to cough/ splutter.

The other thing is to ensure your front studs are long enough for the allow wheels and have enough thread well into the nuts. My doner sierra had steel wheels that have shorter studs, so I had to replace them with 63mm long bolts.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good luck!

Silly as this sounds, is the boot cover removable completely from the car ?

If so, then the boot space becomes a "passenger compartment" and needs to satisfy all radius rules for passenger areas. If the boot cover is permanently fixed to one edge, then the boot space is exempt. :crazy:

Heatshrink on TREs will NOT do, electrical gaiters for conduit sealing are ok as they are thicker rubber than heat shrink.

I was told that covers must LOOK like they are a permanent fixture to the car and not there just to satisfy IVA. My attempt using electrical plastic conduit and duct tape failed first time. Fortunately I could replace it with something that looked better on the day.

Simon.

with Simon, heat shrink is not acceptable.

lots of good advice already given, but have not seen following

number plate mount must be bigger than standard number plate, easiest is to mount on rear panel, but you will have to move number plate light

rear fog light lens markings, must have an F or a B on the lens, as its white it probably hasn't

seat belt bracket edges

have you also addressed

inner lower seat belt mountings

floor strengthening

pedal box strength

steering column top mount

I found this on page 142:

------------------

Annex 2: Interior/Exterior Assessment

Where the vehicle has a detachable (or fold back) hood/roof, the interior shall be taken to be the area covered by the hood/roof.

Where a vehicle is not fitted with a facility to attach a hood/roof the interior/exterior boundary should be taken to be the mid point between interior and exterior on for example the windscreen pillar, top edge of body side and top edge of door.

Where the front of the passenger compartment abuts the front scuttle / bonnet panel and no windscreen is fitted then the interior / exterior boundary shall be 25 mm towards the front of the passenger compartment, a windscreen will otherwise form the boundary

All areas of the vehicle to the rear of the specified zone are considered to be "exterior"

Where the area behind the rear bulkhead of the passenger area and the rear of the vehicle is covered by a ‘soft’ cover held in place by pop studs, (e.g. a Lotus seven type vehicle), the cover is considered an access lid. In these cases the exterior projections should be assessed with the cover in place. The area beneath the ‘access lid’ is deemed to be the interior of the vehicle and if it appears to be behind a permanent bulkhead it is exempt of any interior fitting requirements.

-----------------------

So you might be ok. That was revision 5 dated 29-04-2012. The cover MUST be in place though. If it isn't, then you have problems.

(Note to moderators, would it be possible to put some sort of "sticky" link to the latest IVA manual ? )

Simon.

Picking up on one point, Florin said the dash needs to be 19mm radius and I have found that in the IVA manual but now very concerned as my dash only has about a 15mm radius.

Not sure what it means by lower edge specified zone, hope I don't have to re do the dash, pic attached more pics on my web site

Thanks

John

http://www.johnskitcar.com

post-2376-0-27539500-1410297727_thumb.jpg