Battery Warning Light

Guest Jonnyround2003

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the year. But it's pins 8 B (Blue) and Pin 7 Bk/Y (Black / Yellow)

Up to 1987 you want diagram 1 (Starting, charging and ignition) Zone L3 and the instrument pack is number 82

1987 to 1989 you want diagram 1 Starting, charging and ignition Zone K3 and the instrument pack is number 108

1990 onwards you want diagram 1 Starting, charging and ignition Zone K3 and the instrument pack is number 116

For up to 87 only, Pin 8 will be 2 Blue wires, other years will be a single blue wire. Pin 7 will be a single wire

Sorry. I was assuming a sierra alternator, lucas/bosch and was half asleep. (Some of the common Denso Japanese alternators need three or even four wires).

Two wires only on an ignition light bulb. No earth. In the standardish Sierra loom, alternator ignition lamp wire is blue, ignition live to instruments and warning lights was black/yellow.

Nigel

It works on the basis that when engine is not running but ignition is on ignition live current runs through the bulb and earths through the field coils of the alternator causing a magnetic field and lighting the bulb. When the engine is started the rotor has a field to turn in and can generate current, some of which is passed back to the ignition bulb. If the ignition bulb now has 12 volts fed to it from both contacts there is no flow through it and it extinguishes.

Guest Jonnyround2003

The bulb did light before on ignition I haven't changed the cables and now it wont ? I have checked the bulb and it works any ideas it has the blue cable one side and black the other side I don't get the diagrams in the Haynes book.

Is the ignition light in a sierra cluster or have you put in a separate ignition light you are trying to wire up.

Isolate the blue and black cables you have going to the bulb. The blue should have its other end at the alternator. The black, properly black/yellow should be live when the ignition is on. I will draw up the circuit and post in a moment.

Nigel

Edited to remove the incorrect pic which showed ignition live starting out from the ignition switch as a black and then changing to black/yellow. Its black/yellow all the way.

Edited by Longboarder

Guest Jonnyround2003

Write my cables ones yellow and brown to the alternator right hand side connector the other side of the bulb is connected to ignition switch live which is connected to the oil light which works ?