Engine Started....

Guest alexpink

Guest alexpink

Here's a link to it running (if the link works.)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=549691565165675&id=100003745081290&comment_id=549728728495292&offset=0&total_comments=6&notif_t=video_reply&ref=m_notif

It sounds awful but at least now I know that it works I can get it set up properly.

On another note, I now have a problem with the clutch- pressing the pedal doesn't actually do anything. I can't get it into gear with the engine running, seems like I don't have enough pedal travel to disengage the clutch. One problem after another! :D

Hi Alex,

the clutch is a common problem, you can buy larger radius quadrants the yellow ratchet part. I think the NW site had the details. I didn't notice when I there last but it's the top of the brake reservoir level, you might be able to adjust the angle of the mounting plate to get more travel. Another option some people have done is to fit a plate around the quadrant to increase the radius but you need to be careful with the cable run over it.

Jez

Guest alexpink

Cheers Jez. Just bought a red 55mm quadrant from eBay for a couple of pounds which should hopefully fix it as it seems like the travel isn't enough. Thanks for the pointers, if that's not the issue I'll space the cable to get some more travel, and reinforce the pedal box. Hopefully the clutch isn't the issue as it's a brand new kit- I'm thinking that maybe (as it is new and therefore unworn) the travel is most important now, as if the clutch is new there will be a smaller gap and therefore a very low biting point? Just a thought

Guest mower man

Alex beware of the front of the pedal box flexing and causing this prob ,I did all the mods inthe end ,different quadrants ,plate on the edge of quadrant , cossy cable etc etc only realy cured it by putting 2 struts from bulkhead to front plate of pedal box was brill after that mick

Guest chris brown

Just put a strip of metal over the quadrent and run the cable over it lots of people have done this and I have never heard of cable snagging on tube or outer but as Bob says just check it for piece of mind.

Are you sure it is a clearance problem and not a stuck clutch? Even a new clutch will stick if left, a quick check would be to do the metal trick with your present quadrent, stick it in gear and with clutch fully depressed operate starter. If engine turns and car doesn't move then yes quadrent not big enough if car moves then its a stuck clutch.

Just seen Micks post and yes forgot I did that aswell.

Edited by chris brown

Just thinking of basic geometry Chris, the inner cable comes off the quadrant at a tangent & straight ( hopefully) into the outer sleeve mounting. Increase the radius of the quadrant & unless the outer mount is moved or angle of mount changed then the inner must rub against the outer & not go straight in. IMO but maybe a tad picky.

• Like 1

Yep a tad picky as you say Bob over 10 years and well over 50k miles and only broke 1 cable and that was at the other end

Obviously depends on what size quadrant you start with. I plated mine over and it rubbed through the nylon coveing on the inner cable almost immediately.

My note was posted as our cable running over a changed radius lasted just 3years/25K miles -- break was just inside top mount of outer. Florin was towing t/tent at the time -- made the last half dozen miles home interesting!! As usual with any advice -- you pay your money & take your choice.

( Just as well we don't do brain surgery )

Guest 2b cruising

Check the actual travel you have on the clutch fork with someone pressing the pedal for you. If this travel is sufficient, then it looks like you have a clutch plate fault. ie, centre plate stuck to flywheel, centre plate fitted wrong way round. I will check amount of travel my fork has and let you know. This might save you changing quadrant or further messing about with cable. I will give you measurement for correct travel in half hour.

Guest alexpink

Cheers guys. Looking at it, the box does need a bit of reinforcement as it flexes ever so slightly which can't be helping matters. Will try have a look tonight but as I found at last night its getting very, very cold!

Guest 2b cruising

Check the actual travel you have on the clutch fork with someone pressing the pedal for you. If this travel is sufficient, then it looks like you have a clutch plate fault. ie, centre plate stuck to flywheel, centre plate fitted wrong way round. I will check amount of travel my fork has and let you know. This might save you changing quadrant or further messing about with cable. I will give you measurement for correct travel in half hour.

the amount of movement at the end of the clutch operating fork from pedal at rest,to fully depressed on my car is 14mm approx.

If your travel is anywhere as much as this, your cable and pedal assembly is perfectly serviceable. I would think as little as 10mm would still fully release your clutch driven plate. (Centre plate).

If you do not get satisfactory movement , check that your clutch operating fork is connected to the fulcrum point.

To do this, disconnect the cable from the fork end and make sure the fork is not moving about all over the place.

If bothe these results are good unfortunately there is something wrong inside the clutch assembly.

Good luck and I hope all ends well.

Ken.