Transaxle Gearbox and mid engine In A Kitcar

richardm6994

Guest alfaGTA

I'm thinking our leader Richard is some kind of engineering geneticist wondering what he can create by mating two pieces of metal together.... I think we as a collective should guide him towards the Frankenstein WE want him to create

I really appreciate the input folks! This is certainly going to be my most ambitious project yet and probably be a slow burner over the next couple of years...more details will find there way onto here when the path becomes clearer.

I don't fancy the agrivation again of mating different engines and gearbox combos......this project is going to be complicated enough without that added hassle.......I'm liking the vw Passat engine and gearbox combo as I could buy a full donor car for about £500.

Rich, you should look at the 4.2 audi v8 + audi 6 speed transaxle installation into a lotus esprit here: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?t=9648

It may give you some inspiration! Some very impressive engineering.

Edited by Grim
  • Like 1

out of interest is there a reason for an inline rather than a transverse engine?

I often looked at the fiat punto front subframe as a perfect kitcar rear engine setup as the entire subframe holds the engine,gearbox,steering and suspension so could just be bolted on the rear with the steering locked or replaced with tiebars.

Obviously vastly underpowered by the look of what you are looking at above but must be quite a few big fwd cars which would fit the bill.

I do love the look of an inline mid engine car though :)

Theres a few things I wanted from my next project.........

I want to create a chassis, have a go at my own fibre glass bodywork, and incorporate an inline mid-engined rwd drive train.

I've also been inspired by all of the developments with the narrow front wheelbase nissan delta-wing........but not 100% sold on transfering the idea to a home-made effort :)

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/First-drive-Nissan-BladeGlider-mule-2013-11-20

Still bouncing ideas around so nothing fixed yet........by all mean the collective group can help guide this frankinstein monster...

Guest alfaGTA

Will this project be a selfish single seater design? You've got me looking at the BAC mono, it has a duratec mounted to a hewland transaxle (also the transaxle is a stressed element part of the chassis). It also has inboard front suspension which could lend itself to a narrow wheelbase.... The fiat chinquechentio has a very short/narrow steering rack too btw